1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you talk to people you don't know

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BloodyRose3000, Apr 21, 2013.

1. BloodyRose3000

I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art the other day and spent 30 mins following this beautiful, geeky looking guy walking around the 19th century painting section. He was probably straight, and even if he wasn't I'm fairly certain he'd have no interest in me (either romantically or just as a friendly person to converse with), but I couldn't help but hate myself to some extent for my inability to talk to... essentially anyone that I don't already know. So I was wondering how people here talk to strangers, or IF they talk to them at all.

2. J205

J205 Guest

I'm more of a quiet person so I really don't know.

3. thinthinline

I'm a girl so it might be a little different, but it's easy to talk to people when you ask them questions as people love to talk about themselves.

ie: Nice band shirt, do you like them?
    Oh yeah, really? They're pretty great. Do you like ____ type of music?
    AH yeah, me too. Have you heard of ___band? Love them.
    No? Oh, well they're pretty good. They're similar to (above mentioned band from the shirt).

etc.

People will fill in the gaps so long as you ask questions about them.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The process is actually pretty simple. You still have to go DO it, of course, but the steps are easily stated.

1. Find your common ground.
    2. Talk - or better yet, ask questions - about your common ground.

So think. What was your common ground with this guy? You're both at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. So ask some questions about that. As he's looking at a particular painting, you might make some sort of comment about it. "Wow - that really looks stunning" or "Hm - I'm not sure what to make of this." Or ask a question. "Excuse me - do you happen to know anything about this artist? Is most of his work like this?" "Can I ask you a random question? Do you know where the gift shop/ impressionist exhibit/snack bar is?" As said above, you certainly can compliment a shirt or whatnot, especially if he has something worth complimenting. :slight_smile: But I personally have found that using the common ground tends to nudge things forward better.

Lex

5. FunnyMonkey

I just say Hi and make a comment about something that is coming on at that time.
    I am kinda shy, but that's what I do. Also what has help me is saying hello to one person that I don't know a day.

6. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    pretty much what everyone is saying...

say hi...i'd ask him questions about the art stuff on display and then ask him to tell you stuff about the things in the museum (play dumb if you already know these things)

then ask if he wants to catch a bite with ya....

(avoide eye contact if you think he's straight unless he gives your a direct stare) who knows you may get a new friend never know...

7. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm too quiet & shy to talk to people I don't know...

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    EXTREMELY awkwardly. Not that I get nervous or anything, but I can't seem to say anything to break the ice. It's usually destined to be completely vapid small-talk until something takes the conversation somewhere meaningful.

I'm usually uncomfortable until that moment passes, but after that point I usually either have a good time, or find I'd prefer not to talk to that person and walk away.

9. BloodyRose3000

But won't someone just get scared away and think that I'm some kind of weird obnoxious freak if I just start to randomly talk to them? People in NY don't just walk up to strangers and talk.

10. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ You'd be surprised, actually. Last time I was in Manhattan I was traveling with a natural extrovert, and she'd just walk up to anyone and start talking. The vast majority of people were friendly and talked back. Had me in awe, really :lol:.

And sure, people may get weirded out and think you're an obnoxious freak. Or they might not. No way of knowing until you try :thumbsup:.
    (Easier said than done though, I know).

11. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  12. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I work in a job where I have to engage the public, so sometimes that has helped me be confident even outside of work approaching strangers. But from having to do that in the museum I work for, ive come to understand that most people in museums dont like being bothered.

In general though I wouldnt try to start a conversation with someone out of nowhere, that seems odd to me. Its one thing to ask the time or a simple question and then move on, vs trying to befriend and hang out with a total stranger without some kind of event or experience that brings you together.

Like if you took a tour of the met, itd be totally acceptable in my opinion to turn to a guy and start a conversation. But to go up to a guy on his own, its just not something id ever do.

13. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I never talk to strangers!! I am so shy around people I dont know

14. MapleCross

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am shy as well, but so are most people. Therefore if you make the first move then most people will respond.
    As others have said, a simple question about a painting that you are both looking at. Some examples are given above, but I would myself try "i do not understand this painting, do you like it?" and if he says "yes" then ask "what do you like about it?" You have broken the ice and can think of other questions.

Some times it is best to rehearse the questions before you speak. You seemed to follow him for some time, so you have time to think before hand what you could ask him.

Good hunting!