1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Relocating

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Absol, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So to start things off, I really REALLY hate where I live. It's pretty much a small town in a mountainous terrain where everyone knows everyone. Firstly, the area is not really accepting of the LGBT community(It's in the middle of a Bible belt), you have to have a car to get anywhere, and there's literally nothing to do. I'm just sick of the nothingness.

I really want to move to a place where I don't need a car because I'm unable to drive. I want to live in a loud noisy lively place with many people and things to do, pretty much the opposite of where I live now. The place also has to be accepting of course, so the first place that I thought of was New York City! When I went and visited Chicago, I loved it, even though it rained the entire time and I've always wanted to live in a big city, so I think New York would be great!

So what I want to know is, how hard is it to relocate, especially when you're going from a small town to a big city? The fact that I'm leaving my friends and family behind doesn't really bother me. I don't know anyone who currently lives there, but that doesn't bother me either, meeting new people is half of the adventure. I'm currently working on a IST degree, so it'll be awhile before I seriously start looking into a job or a place to live, but I just want to know how hard it would be.

2. RainbowMan

As someone who's made the move to NYC, it's very different from anything that you've ever experienced. You'll either love it or hate it here, I've been here 6 years and it's now home to me even though I have no family around (which is a good and bad thing)

I wouldn't come here without a solid job, be prepared to have roommates (everyone your age does) even if you do have a good job. The cost of living can become absolutely INSANE. To put things into perspective, for a ~750-800sqft 1 bedroom apartment, I pay $2K/mo. Nothing fancy either - just a third floor walkup (which is another thing about the city - with all of the old buildings, don't count on things like elevators in older buildings) in Brooklyn.

Feel free to PM me if you want more details. This isn't to discourage you - follow your dreams. But know what you're signing up for first :slight_smile:

3. lull23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I moved from a smalltown to London after I finished Uni. I found it quite easy as I had a friend here already. I got a job within 2 weeks and made a lot of new friends fairly soon after that.

As RainbowMan states, living in the City is crazy expensive. Rents are much higher (but so are salaries) but you'll need money for going out and doing things as well.

There are times when the hustle and bustle gets too much, but home is only a few hours away so I can easily escape if it does get too much at any one time (it hasn't for a long time).

There are also times when you're in one of the best/biggest cities in the world, and it can feel lonely - but once you're there a while and build up a circle of friends, it's awesome!

Overall, would I suggest living in the city? For sure! I don't regret making the move in the slightest, it's quite possibly the best decision I've ever made.

4. photoguy93

I live in a really small city, and have visited a lot of big cities. I've never been to NYC, but I love, love, love Chicago.

My advice, as someone who is in your position...... Look at all your options. I'm not saying don't follow your dreams...I'm just saying that there's so much out there. I'm already looking into different cities and it's overwhelming. I also don't want you to go into shock because it's so different.

Best of luck!

5. JPC

JPC Guest

I moved from the middle of nowhere to a big city in another country last year and I quite like it.

Definitely don't do it on a whim though, it's a completely different way of life and it's something you need to be prepared for. It's so important to plan well for it. City living is a lot more expensive so you'll definitely need to have either pretty substantial savings or a job organised before you go. Decent apartments at a reasonable rent price in a location that you like are almost impossible to find, start looking well in advance otherwise you might just have to settle for something that you're not too keen on if you leave it too late.

City life isn't all that it's cracked up to be though, it definitely has it's downsides and there's times when you'd much rather go back to the middle of nowhere. But if you've thought it through fully and really want to do it, I would definitely say go for it!

6. June Cleaver

It is easy! Pack your shit and go! I sold my house in 2004 in Tampa, Florida and moved to Arkansas where I bought a nice house then sold it in 05 to move back to Florida where I bought this house in Lake City then when the movers moved me in I left for a year to LA for a adventure to return to unpack in 06. Moving is easy and quite a adventure! You will have fun and meet new people! I have lived in big citys and country towns and I way prefer the small town. In a city you have no neighbors, people are not friendly like in a small town. You will have a night life and pleanty to do there. So each has it's positives. As far as finding a man to settle down with and living happily, I do better in a small town. I also love my 8 acre yard and clean well water. June

---------- Post added 24th Apr 2013 at 12:28 PM ----------

This is true! I am set finantually so I have no worries and forget some people have to work. To move to NYC lets say will be costly and you will need a good job there unless you are like me and can do anything on a whim. June

7. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks for the insight guys and girls!

Even though I've thought about moving, I haven't really thought of actually doing it until recently. I want to finish school first which will take maybe a year and I also want to build my credit up a little more. Honestly, I would be happy barely getting by working at McDonald's as long as I didn't live here, but I obviously don't want that. New York isn't the only place I've thought of(it was the first place to come to my mind), but I've also thought about San Fran or LA(those are more like pipe dreams), Orlando, Dallas, Richmond, and even a smaller cities like Roanoke, VA or Winston-Salem, NC.

I understand that city life isn't all that it's cracked up to be, but I just feel like I don't belong here. I've lived in this area all of my life and it's just become so stagnant. Miss June, you don't how many times I've want to pack up the few things I own and just leave, but I know that wouldn't be a great ideal at this point in my life. lol