1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to a meetup this weekend, what do I do?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by FractiousJ, Apr 24, 2013.

1. FractiousJ

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm going to a lesbian meetup this weekend to try and expand my social circle a bit. My friends are all straight and married or coupled up so some gay friends sounds like a welcome change of pace.

I'm really nervous about it though, I'm pretty quiet which people usually interpret as shy but really, I just don't have anything to say. So what do I do when I arrive? The meetup is in a public place and it looks like the turnout would be ~50 people.

What's the standard protocol here? Everyone else is looking to meet people as well so do I just walk up to a random person and introduce myself? Stand off somewhere and hope someone approaches me? What would you do?

2. AKTodd

Is there a person/people who has organized the Meetup? My partner and I have started doing meetups (the group we are part of is mostly lesbians) and there is a couple that organizes most of them and is at all of them. If this is the case for you, then I'd suggest introducing yourself to them first/early. They will probably be very outgoing sorts and will probably give a shout out introducing you to the group. From there, they might take you around to different people or some folks will likely come up to you to say 'hi'. You may need to do a bit of circulating, but likely you can find someone to chat with a bit at a time.

With a group that large, some time will be spent just introducing yourself over and over and maybe getting to know a few people. Don't worry if you don't get a chance to meet everyone, you will likely get a chance to meet them at future meetups.

At least the above is my sense from the 2 events we've done so far, the first of which was a party with about 15 people or so and the second a much smaller affair where we talked with people we hadn't had a chance to meet the first time.

Hope this helps,

Todd

3. photoguy93

I'm young, but from what I can tell, it really depends on who is throwing the event and who you expect to be there.

You'll be meeting people. My best advice is to go with no expectations. It could go really bad, or it could go really well. The first event I went to was a complete waste for me. It was extremely cliquey because it was at my school and the group is as popular as a sauna in July... in Arizona.

I think it sounds like it's a big event, so go and enjoy! Just be yourself. Find the people you want to find. Often times, we (or even others) assume that just because we are LGBT means we automatically will love other LGBT individuals! That's often not the case.

4. FractiousJ

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the advice! There is someone hosting but with her tiny picture and the number of people expected I don't know if I'll be able to find her :/

I'll see what happens I guess