1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Repression, Denial, and Anger

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Michelle1987, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Michelle1987

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I recently just accepted that I am in love with a girl. I'm also starting to accept that I am bi-sexual; although, I still have not completely come to terms with it.

Before I 'accepted' my feelings, I often would be mean to her if I was drunk. I never really understood it because she is such an important person to me and i'm a generally happy person. Is this a common characteristic of someone who is dealing with repression/denial? Has anyone else experienced this?
    I wonder if I acted that way because I didn't want to accept how I felt? or If because I was upset I couldn't always treat her in an affectionate way so instead I chose a different emotion that was opposite of what I wanted others to know?

I told her how I felt and for about 2 weeks we didn't really talk, but the past few weeks she has been hot/cold with me. For a few days we'll talk, hang out, and have the same close connection we always had, and then for a few days she will shut off, ignore me, or just be bitchy. Then the cycle repeats itself. Now I'm starting to wonder if she is going through the same thing I went through.

Either way, I'm just curious if anyone else has taken out their anger on the person they didn't want to have feelings for? Or maybe on others in general?

2. Dakine

Out Status:
    A few people
    I do think this happens. I think the person I like does the exact same thing to me. Don't worry, you are not alone in behaving that way, and there is a chance that she is doing the same thing.

3. Crunchy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

Hi Michelle, I'm late to this post but it caught my attention. I haven't done this but someone did it to me. I felt they deeply cared about me (I could be wrong but at the very least they were always very nice to me) but when I tried to confront the reality of what was going on they treated me abhorrently and in a way very few people could understand. So, my answer is yes - I think people can choose the opposite emotion and treat you badly. (Although I should say this person never told me how they felt like you did, so perhaps I got it wrong).

I was also bullied for being gay in school by someone who, years later, came onto me in a club.

I must attract them!

#3 Crunchy, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019