1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My dad doesn't know a single thing about me

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by lazyfire, May 1, 2013.

1. lazyfire

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've always been frustrated with my dad. Sure, he may seem touchy and loves to hug/kiss me (randomly). To be perfectly honest, I don't think that shows 'love' at all.

It shows a physical attraction. *After thinking about it* -shudders-

He doesn't understand me and doesn't even pay attention to a thing I do.
    He thought I was two years younger than I actually was. He claims I'm not good at a single thing when he doesn't even 'notice' me.

I'm his son but he treats me like I don't exist?! And, the number one thing I hate is when he compares me to other people and says I'm generally worse than the rest of them when he doesn't know a single thing about me.

When we sit in a car together, we don't talk at all. He usually asks random questions to break the silence. I want to talk to him more since he is my dad but I don't think we'd get along.

He'd ask questions like:
    "How's school?"
    "Are you tried?"
    "How was your day"

It's quite annoying when I know he doesn't have anything else to say. He doesn't even 'try'. He just doesn't want the silence.

He's irritating me. Anyone have a clue as to what to do?

#1 lazyfire, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013
  2. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm sorry that you feel like your father is comparing you to others. That isn't fair. Have you asked him to stop?

It sounds like you really want to connect with your father. It also sounds like that is probably what he wants, but that he just isn't sure how to get you to open up. The good news is it sounds like you both want the same thing. When he's asking how your day was, if you're tired, and how school was he's asking about you. It doesn't sound like he's just trying to break silence to me, though I'm not there so I can't me completely certain. It sounds like he's trying to find a jumping off point with you, some common ground.

Have you tried talking to him about things that interest you? If you like comic books, talk to him about comic books. If you like computers talk to him about computers. If you like sports talk to him about sports. You get the idea. Open up, and that will help you find some common ground. If you're not sure about opening up, you can try it the other way and start asking him questions to find something HE likes that you can discuss. Or if you can't find something to talk about, is there something you can find to do together that you both like? Baking? Hiking? Basketball? Painting? Playing cards or boardgames?

Affection is not the same thing in a parent/child relationship as it is in a partner relationship. It sounds like he's just being an affectionate parent, which does NOT in any way indicate attraction. Unless his affection is in some way inappropriate, then I'd say it is his way of showing you he cares.