1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to be a mother someday

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Ettina, May 1, 2013.

1. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But I don't know if I'll get the chance.

I'm asexual/aromantic and autistic.

My sexuality means I'm not going to be marrying a guy and having kids the usual way. Also, a one-night-stand would be extremely unpleasant for me. So if I'm going to conceive my own child, it'll be through sperm donation.

But I've heard stories about sperm donor companies scrutinizing potential parents, and I'm not sure if they'd let a disabled single parent conceive. And if I go the unofficial route, I have no idea how I'd find a guy willing to do the 'turkey baster' thing. It's really hard for me to get to know people because of my disability.

Adoption would also be an option, except that the 'scrutinizing potential parents' issue applies here. Are they gonna let a disabled single mom adopt?

Also, I'd prefer not to be a single parent, if I can find someone I trust who's willing to co-parent. My younger brother might be amenable to it once he's grown up, provided his future partner agrees. Barring that, there's the issue of trying to find someone who'd be willing to co-parent. I'd probably either have to find another asexual, or deal with a couple in some form. My Dad has expressed the concern that if I co-parented with a couple they might side with each other against me when it comes to parenting disputes. Is that likely? Mom doesn't seem as concerned about that.

So, anyway, I may not have a sexuality, but my biological clock is alive and ticking!

2. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does anyone have any advice?

3. evora

I'm not very good at giving advice, sorry, but I'll try.

You're still 23 so you still have plenty of time, you might meet someone with the same interests, you never know.

I want a baby some day as well and I've always thought adoption would more difficult than using a sperm donor but I really have no idea how these things work in this country let alone where you are from.

I agree with you on not wanting to be a single parent but co-parenting the way you described it (with a couple or your brother and his partner) doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Sorry.:icon_sad: But if you lived with your parents and had your baby, that wouldn't make you a single parent in my opinion.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more help, I don't know what I'll do to have a baby or how I'll have it, or if I'll get the chance to have one at all. Also I need to sleep soon.

4. PeteNJ

Where there's a will, there's a way.

If and when you're at the point you want to conceive, you will look at the options and decide what's best for you.

I would think in a few years that there will be more openess to various alternatives!