1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depression help

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ClaraOswin, May 1, 2013.

1. ClaraOswin

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm kind of nervous about making this post so please forgive me if my words ever sound a little jumbled or anything.

But, I have felt depressed for a number of years now and there are times when it's worse and times when it's not as bad, but it's always kind of there, if that makes sense. But it has been getting really bad again this past year and I was thinking that maybe it would be a good idea to see a doctor and get a diagnosis. But I really would rather not tell my parents about it because I don't want them to worry about me even more than they already do. Do you think it's more important to get the diagnosis or do you think that I should just hold off?

I've taken online tests, which do not count as a diagnosis, but I took them just to kind of see where I was and they all point to really high levels of depression. I guess I'm just really nervous about the whole thing and I'm not sure what I should do.

If you could maybe give some feedback or advice, that'd be really great. Thank you.

2. SomeNights

I think it'd be better for you to seek help and let your parents know then to not seek help and struggle. Just, IMHO

---------- Post added 1st May 2013 at 11:40 PM ----------

Oh and Welcome to EC!!!

3. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd go seek help from your doctor.
    As you are over 18 I guess you can choose later whether you tell your folks or not?

good luck, depression sucks

4. LibraryKitten

Out Status:
    Some people
    Are you in an environment where you can reach out for help without telling your parents? I know most college campuses have counseling centers that you probably already pay for in your tuition. Ultimately it's up to you whether you seek help, and whether you tell your parents about your depression and how you are dealing with it. I can understand why you might not want to open up to them about it. If you do end up telling them, though. most likely they would only be glad to hear that you're actively seeking help, and would want to help in any way they themselves can.
    If you need to talk or vent, just message me. =) (By the way, I love your username!)

5. Foxface

I know legally I cannot do what I wish I could do...but I am a therapist and suffer bipolar and GAD myself. I would see the doctor to be honest. There may be therapists and counselors around you that specialize in depression and while I don't always think it the best bet, there are some good medications out there that help a lot. I am on two myself and it's changed my life along with therapy...but again therapy is the key. Meds can assist but you need to get to the root of the issues as well to find holistic healing

again I can't legally do therapy with you online...but if you want to chat about some "personal and semi-professional" advice...hit me up any time

6. yeahyeah

yeahyeah Guest

In my experience I would tell you go ahead with the doctor and maybe it is a good idea to let your parents know. I was afraid to tell my parents at first but once I did they gave me their support and helped me. So, that's my advice, go :slight_smile:

7. ClaraOswin

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you all so much for your help and support. I'll definitely consider seeing a doctor sometime this summer and I'll try to decide if I want to talk to my parents about this as well. Thank you again. It really means a lot. :slight_smile: