1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it rude to ask someone about their sexuality?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Mochi, May 2, 2013.

1. Mochi

I have my last class day today, and there is a girl I have been meaning to get to know but never had the courage to do so. I guess I was too embarrassed. I've seen her being flirty with a guy in the beginning, but I don't think she was in a relationship with him? I think it'd be so rude to ask if she was interested in girls, especially since we hardly talked, but I don't want to regret not knowing. I don't want to be so forceful, but I've crushed so hard on her my curiousity has spiked. Maybe a softer blow would be to just ask for her email? (still awkward though.......)

2. Mochi

3. Hefiel

It is very rude to ask people about their sexuality if they are in the closet. If you ask the girl, her reaction will likely be a resounding "No" whether she's saying the truth or not.

4. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

U can ask her casually like "so what kind of ppl do u hang out with or like?"

5. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Personally I think it doesn't have to be rude. It all depends on the situation and how you bring it, but the answer might not be truthful if they are in the closet.

You better first be friendly with her before you drop the question. But when the opportunity rises you could ask if she is dating guys or girls. And add the "or girls" as if you just thought up that that could be a possiblity.
    Even is she doesn't date, you could stay on the subject after that and find out where her interest lies.

Some time ago I actually had someone asking me if I would date her. And I didn't say I was gay, but said "not likely, but not because you're not cute". To give her a hint. She got it. I think she asked it that way because she thought I was gay anyway.

So that's another thing you could ask... I don't think that would come across as rude. It's just curiosity...

#5 Boyfriend, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013
  6. JPC

JPC Guest

It's not rude, but there was one guy years ago in school who asked me on two different occasions if I was gay and it would always make me really uncomfortable. If you're closeted, being asked is a really horrible experience.
    However, your scenario is a little different. If a gay person had asked me, out of curiosity, if I was in any way into guys, I probably wouldn't have minded so much.

7. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    Lol i remember the first time i went pop music party.I met a girl and when we talked for a little she was like : Are you homosexual? xD..I was like..what the fuck she can smell homosexuality xD But anyways thats my natural scent..

8. photoguy93

It's so difficult because everyone says "if you want a date, go find one!" How the hell can we if we don't ask? Since gay people are, you know, normal looking (shock, right?) it's so difficult!

As a girl, if you think she's open, I don't think it's bad to ask. Obviously, don't make that the first sentence. It's probably one of the toughest situations. Girls are *usually* a little better, but that's from my viewpoint.

9. JPC

JPC Guest

That's true, we should really carry sandwich boards or something around to make ourselves more easily identifiable.

10. Femmeme

I recently had a woman approach me with the opening questions of, "Are you single and do you like girls." I was shocked, but mostly impressed and flattered. Not that everyone would have the same response. I wasn't interested in her for other reasons, but that oppener did blow me away.

How about you ask her to have a cup of coffee with you or something, get to know her a little bit and THEN ask if she dates girls?

11. Hefiel

That is a good opener. *Takes notes*. At least under those circumstances, it shows an interest, whereas simply asking "Do you like girls" may be perceived as pejorative.

12. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, there are those rainbow bracelets and such...:icon_wink and flirting with someone of the same sex (what my boyfriend did when I first saw him) is a pretty clear clue...

13. JPC

JPC Guest

A bracelet probably would be more practical than a sandwich board.

14. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Although on a sandwichboard you can add info like "single and looking for someone", or something...could be really handy.

15. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's all about the intention. If somebody wants to know for the sake of curiosity and learning about me (or for flirting with me), I'd be happy to tell them. If I think they're going to use it against me, they can kindly take a long walk off a short pier. :slight_smile:

16. animequeen567

Rule of thumb, I would say yes. I find it awkward to ask someone their sexuality. I would just get to know the person first, then give off hints subtly that you're interested.

17. Mochi

Hey thanks for the responses guys! I did end up not approaching her. There may be a slight opportunity I will see her in the future, and it will be out of the classroom and in a more casual setting. I'm still not going to ask her sexuality. I guess the goal will be to get her contact info? I've only had the courage to say a few words. I need to plan. I really appreciate the advice :slight_smile: thanks!