1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel like I'm stuck in my comfort zone... But I like it

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Gazza123, May 2, 2013.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Bare with me... This may get a bit long and I tend to ramble which I will try to keep to a minimum.

First things first is that I haven't been able to see my support person for three week due to being busy one week and him being poorly for the other two. Now this support is for my confidence, self esteem, social issues, body image and everything in between. Now since I haven't been able to see him I thought I'd turn to EC to see if you guys can shed done light on my latest... Problem or challenge if you will.

Now the support I have been getting was great and I've came out of my quiet keep myself to myself comfort zone but lately everything seems to have stopped and I have sunk into a new comfort zone. Before I used write down the things I achieved each day and write the stuff down that didn't go well, tear it off and toss it in the bin. I was making steady progres until a few weeks ago when things seem to have stopped and if am honest, starting to return to square one.

Bare in mind my support person has been meaning to do work around body image but we haven't got around to it. Anyways...

It's sometimes I think "yeah I don't have many friends or any at all but I'm fine with that as I've got my writing to focus on and just enjoy doing my own thing" and I also think "nah I don't need a boyfriend, I like personal space and me time and having a relationship would just ruin it"

But then I think the flip side to all that with "it would be nice to have friends to hang out with, go to the cinema and what not" and "having a boyfriend would be cool and new s d exciting"

The only thing is a do then I don't want friends and I am really picky about guys I like so I think why bother cuz it might not be worth it. My social progress has stopped on that I no longer push myself and instead just stick to where I am

I just feel as though I'm stuck in a crux and I don't want to be horrible, cause everyone gets poorly, but it's because I haven't been able to get my sessions that I think this has all happened.

I just feel like I don't know what to do and going to my sessions everything week used set mind straight on what needed to work and how to do it. Plus chatting with someone like that helps

2. Hefiel

I assume your support person is some sort of therapist?

What kind of things do you typically discuss with that person? What kind of tips do you usually receive that have helped you come out of your shell a bit? Perhaps reviewing in your head the sessions you usually have with that person could shed some light on what you're missing or doing wrong at the moment.

Do you perhaps have trust issues that have led you to stay away from other people? Or other reasons that have made you hesitant in wanting to approach other people?

Speaking strictly from personal experience, this is what happened to me. I've got trust issues and as a result distanced myself from pretty much anybody, rationalizing the act by thinking "I'm fine being alone, it lets me concentrate and be in peace" or "I don't need any of that relationship shenanigan", but in reality I want to be around people and even more importantly I want a boyfriend. I was already alone by the time I realized this thought...oops. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Hmm... Some of that does ring a bell.

The person I see is not a therapist. He is the young people's support worker at a LGBT support centre. Bug he has said then he put me on touch with the right people if cant help with certain issues

4. Hefiel

Oh, you're the first on EC that I've seen who visits an LGBT Support Center. For most members so far, it seems that the support centers are either too far or there are other (personal) reasons preventing them from accessing them.

They're usually well-connected with psychologist or psychiatrist, and for some centers, they sometimes go to various panels run by psychologist/psychiatrist on how to help LGBT youth and whatnot, so they're usually relatively well-informed to help them.

Well as a suggestion, considering you've mentioned regressing when you don't meet the support worker for an extended period of time, I'd suggest you discuss with him this exact issue next time you meet him. He may be able to give you some advices or "goals" to work on when you cannot meet to help you maintain your progress.

5. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

I think that sounds like a fine plan