1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

clamming up

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by josh9623, May 2, 2013.

1. josh9623

so recently my parents have decided that they are going to start sending me to a councilor but i am starting to have a harder time getting stuff out on my own. in class i'm quieter than normal, and am having trouble sometimes even making a coherent sentence. i am even having to force myself to write this on here. i have a big assignment due that i havent even started on, and i have been picking at my skin alot more recently (usually caused by stress and anxiety) and i read on here a while ago that it aparently is a combination of ocd and self-harm but i still can stop myself. writing this out just makes me feel like even more of a mess. does anyone have any advice?

2. Hefiel

Are your parents sending you to a counselor because of your sexual orientation or is it completely unrelated?

3. josh9623

The reason they are sending me is because I'm depressed but that is somewhat of a stem from the other I guess

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Counseling/therapy might help you. It's worth a try.

My only concern is that it should be someone qualified, not Reverend Being Gay Is A Sin.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, Josh.

Therapy, if you make use of it, can be life-changing and amazing. The very fact you were able to go on here and talk about what's bothering you, even though it was a challenge to do so, is a really good sign.

It may seem insurmountable now, but I promise you, if you find the right therapist, it will feel "right" to be able to talk to him/her, and you'll be able to find your voice and up about all the things that are upsetting you.

A lot of people go through experiences similar to yours, and nearly all of them come out the other side feeling happy and fulfilled and letting go of the anxieties and behaviors that get in the way.

I'd suggest that the most important piece is that you have a voice in choosing the therapist. See if you can read bios or information, and, ideally, if you can talk to a couple of them over the phone before choosing one. When you find one you feel safe with, it makes all the difference in the world.

6. josh9623

Well I looked up the counselors in my area that have experience dealing with sexuality issues and take my insurance then I checked with a list that a GLBT community center had and the result was Dr. Lisa Niebling so I guess that she would be a good place to start what do you think?

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Josh,

From what you've said, it doesn't sound like you really need help with sexuality issues. Dr. Liebling is a certified sex therapist (among other credentials) and so the sexuality issues she deals with have to do more with sexual dysfunction and such. You need more generalized help, and one of your issues happens to be your sexual orientation.

I found some info online about Dr Liebling, and she looks well qualified. My one concern is that she lists CBT (cognitive-behavoral therapy) as one of her main modalities, and while that can be helpful for some of the issues you're describing, you might be better off with someone who is more humanistic/existential or insight-based in their therapeutic approach.

So... if you feel like doing some more research, I'd focus first on finding someone with experience with adolescents/teens, who works with those modalities. Nearly anybody in practice in 2013 (other than a religious-oriented therapist) is going to be experienced and competent in issues of sexual orientation, so I'd choose someone whose modalities are more compatible with your issues over specific experience with LGBT issues.

But... that said, she wouldn't be a bad choice, it's just that you might be able to do better.

8. i used to see a counciller and like you i used to be really quiet but the person i saw said it was okay if i wanted to sit in silence for the whole session as long as i came lol.

you can do other things aswell you dont have to talk you can paint your feelings or draw them e.t.c its not all about talking its about finding a way youre comfortable expressing yourself. you dont have to talk about your problems/issues straight away, take it slow and youll be more comfortable as time goes on opening up just have to give it time :slight_smile: