1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Antigay message from former minister and my response.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Asari, May 2, 2013.

1. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here is a link to the original message by a man I used to be in ministry with two years ago. I left the ministry because it is incredibly anti-gay. I decided to re-post it here because I want him to be anonymous and I don't want you guys to troll him or anything. He posted this on his blog so that his ministry could see his stance on gay marriage. I am only posting this so that I can get your support and advice. This is very difficult for me to see a man that mentored me refuse to accept me.

Here is the first paragraph's I will post the rest if you want me to:
    Here’s the problem with gay marriage: there is no such thing. It doesn’t exist.
    How could I say such a thing? I am by no means attempting to be inflammatory or sensational. Simply truthful: marriage is not a man-made institution; thus man has no right to define, redefine, or transform what God has ordained and established sovereignly. Marriage is from God, belongs to God, and is a prophetic declaration that He wants to make to the human race about His relationship with us. Therefore, we need to tread carefully and fearfully around this subject. It is precious to Him.
    Hear me now: I don’t want to talk about civil unions, and the rights that homosexuals can receive from our government related to cohabitation and life together. It’s an entirely different issue that merits healthy discussion, as it relates to the subject of what our government should, or should not, sanction and promote within American society. In that arena, a discussion on the issue of basic human “rights” and privileges granted by our society is very appropriate to discuss and debate. These civil issues of American governance fall within our God-given “sphere” to work through together as a nation.Marriage, however, falls outside of the boundaries of debate and human “rights”. No one has a intrinsic “right” to redraw boundaries that God Himself has drawn and defined. The subject of marriage, why it exists, and what it was originally intended to display is not something we get to speak into or shape; it is a part of a storyline that God Himself jealously guards. It is as immutable a truth as grace itself, or mercy, or love. We are not allowed to define any of those truths – we must encounter them by the power of the Holy Spirit and be instructed. In the same manner, we must encounter the Bridegroom God to truly understand marriage and what it shouts to the nations of the earth."

My response to the document- I think straight people need to worry about their own marriages seeing as more then half of them end in divorce. Just sayin.
    7 hours ago · Like · 1

Pastor's response: I 100% agree with your statement. However, are you saying that "straight people should *only* worry about their own marriages"? I care about my marriage a whole lot; I also care about godly young adults that are being thrown off by emotional arguments and accusations. That's my role as a shepherd and a leader in the church - I am responsible to care about young people, helping them grow in confidence in the love of Christ and His truth. You're not saying I should not care about this, correct?
    3 hours ago · Like · 3

I decided not to respond to it because he has his church possey backing him up. He pulled the whole "I'm a minister" card which felt like his way of belittleing me because he has more power then I do. I honestly think this is the final straw for me. I am done with church. It bothers me that there is this new movement of politeness in the church- it's basically bigotry with a smile. "polite" bigotry.

2. Viridian

Viridian Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I would reply:

"People use the name of God to defile, plunder, pillage, and rape. His Truth is nothing more than what Man wants His Truth to be. This has been seen in the bloody trails of history that Christianity and the like has left for us to see. Even to this day, many use His Words for their selfish gains. You are Man as well. What makes you qualified to teach us His Word? How do we know you are not twisting God's Words for your own selfish gains?"

3. jake v

Don't let one close minded person ruin what you believe. If you believe God loves you and wants you to be happy (which I believe He does) then just wash your hands of that church and find one who will love you for who you are. My advice is to basically interview leaders from different churches and tell them about yourself and listen about them. Don't denounce your religion based on a few bad apples.

4. JPC

JPC Guest

His argument presupposes God's existence. You cannot base the denial of rights to a group of people on something that may or may not be real.

I personally have faith, but that is personal to me, I would never enforce it upon anybody and I most certainly would not use it as the basis for discrimination.

5. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ I prayed for him before I went to bed because I didn't want to go to bed angry. Faith is still a big part of who I am but it is just really frustrating how people from the church keep putting me down. I used to be friends with these people, and they have said a lot of amazing loving things. It's so strange to see someone so loving say something so ignorant. When I was in that ministry I met other closeted gay people. The message this ministry spreads that being gay is wrong is not only hurting their family and friends by making it impossible to accept them but it is shoving these people even further in the closet.

6. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People in the church always put words into Gods mouth. The Westburo Church is a prime example. Don't let these people make religion look bad.

7. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I ended up being forced from my old church for the same reasons. If you still like going to church though I highly suggest you try finding a GLBT ran one. Our minister is openly gay and actually preaches love and practical messages from the Bible. Don't let some "holier than thou" assclown turn you off from religion though. Here's how I feel when I hear people like that "preacher" talk.

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." - Mahatma Gandhi

8. UndercoverGypsy

Ugh, Christians (no offense)... So much idiocy.

9. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We're not all idiots :icon_sad:

10. So true, but you can so understand where he's coming from.

11. UndercoverGypsy

I'm gonna try to avoid a big debate on a site as tolerant is this, so I'll leave it at this: while you are not all idiots, you are all most likely wrong, and many Christians are idiotic bigots. Lots of Christians are very smart - the smartest guy I know is Christian (although he uses it as a sort of insurance to get into heaven if there is a god). That said, there are some awful morals in the bible and that can make even the most intelligent people idiots.

12. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :thumbsup:

13. jarkody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I used to be a christian up until I started questioning everything which the bible itself encourages you to do. I started looking elsewhere for answers and I found that the religions themselves (all of them) are man made. I don't mean to shake up your beliefs or anything but the point I'm trying to get to is that marriages are not from god just because the bible says so.

God never told anyone to have a minister say a few words to marry people. It's not natural. It's something people made up and that they choose to do so it's not right to say that god made marriage for men and women only when the institution of marriage is man made anyway.

You'll find all kinds of justifications in the bible about why gay marriage is not okay but that's only because so much of the bible is man-made dogma to begin with. The bible and christian religion are man's feeble attempt at understanding god. They failed and are still failing miserably though.

The good thing is that your own heart is pretty easy to understand whereas the bible isn't. When your heart sings at the thought of being with a woman or marrying a woman then that means the god in you agrees with you! All you need is your own heart. Most religious people do not listen to their hearts. They listen instead to old, outdated words written thousands of years ago by men who didn't listen to their hearts either.

14. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually agree with a lot of this. It goes against my "sola scriptura" upbringing but I believe you need a combination of your heart (the holy spirit) and scripture to find the truth. But I can't explain this to evangelicals who believe the scripture is everything. At least they can't use their knowledge of the scripture against me because I've studied the bible.

15. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My minister has actually said that you shouldn't listen to your heart and that you should only listen to what the Bible says. That, some other things the other members of the church have said, and some of the things they have done are just some of the reasons why I haven't regularly attended for the past few years.

I also thank you need a combination of what you truly believe and what the scripture says, but I personally think what you believe trumps what ever a book says because a book can have errors, but your heart can't.