1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depression & Therapy

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Rose27, May 3, 2013.

1. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Hi EC friends -I read so many posts from people of all ages that are suffering from depression.
    As much support EC is its ok to recognize you need in person help too. Your not alone. Therapy has helped me not just deal with being gay, coming out issues but many other things that have kept me from being truly happy. You all deserve to be happy. I know what deep seemingly never ending depression is. You can & will survive it. Its not easy but its worth the fight/journey.
    If your in therapy/have had therapy please post support to let others know its ok to ask for help!

2. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad it worked fof you. Doesn't work for all of us.

3. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

It doesn't have to be a therapist but they can refer someone to a Dr. if they think its a "chemical imbalance" which needs to be addressed too. Also reading some posts w/cutting & suicidal thoughts. Immediate Help is needed in my opinion if either one of those things are involved.
    Some of you may not agree with my post. I started it because I care. And I worry about my EC friends in so much pain. Rose

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks, Rose for your comments!

Therapy is something I've been considering...if I can only overcome the stigma (I posted on this before). Also--and the biggie--find something affordable.

5. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depression steals your life from you, your friends, family, joy, hope, and happiness. The whole argument people use to encourage depressed people is counter productive in my opinion.

If I feel like nothing is ever going to get better I'd quickly brush off anyone's attempt to tell me otherwise. Just like now. Depression is a cancer and just like any other cancer the longer you leave it untreated the worse it gets and the harder it is to get rid of. So for someone like me whos depression has lasted over ten years I just can't see any way out of it.

Best thing you can do is offer a shoulder to cry on and the number for a crisis line I'd guess.

6. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

I don't know your past or what your whole story is but people have overcome decades of crippling depression. You can take baby steps. There are free clinics. Tell a Dr. how you are feeling. You may get directed to different resources that might help. I had a therapist I did not like. New one is better -10year break.
    Just noticed your trans. I think you are so brave to recognize and accept that about you at 19. I'm 45 and just came out of the closet as gay to family and friends a few month ago.
    Depression can also be caused by a variety of hormone imbalances. Worth getting it checked out?! Think about it? Take care. Hugs Rose