1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mother's Day

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by thedreamwatch, May 3, 2013.

1. Mother's day is coming up on the 12th and I have a huge problem with figuring out what to get my mom every year.

See, we don't have the best relationship, but I like to get her something as a gesture of "Look, I know we're not like other moms and kids are, but I do give a shit".

But since so much Mother's Day stuff is aimed around how loving and special the relationship between mother and child is, that stuff doesn't really work for me.

And my mom is a little bit hard to shop for. Last year I bought her an Apple TV, which was a hit since now everyone loves it, but I don't have quite that much money this year. I can probably swing fifty bucks.

I hate doing this mother's day freakout every year, so I thought I would crowdsource it a little (since googling mother's day gift ideas didn't yield any real good results...)

I can't get her books, because odd are she would hate the ones I pick out. I don't even know where to start there. She likes making these really fancy gourmet cakes, but I don't know what kind of thing you could buy for someone who does that. She works out a lot and really likes that too, but again, I have no idea what kind of gift to get for someone into spin class and yoga...

Anybody got any ideas?

2. Wolfie Charm

Does she have an Amazon account? A lot of people tend to leave their wish lists as public. You can search wish lists by her email and hopefully find it.

If she likes gardening you can get her a cool/funny decoration for her garden. Or supplies for any crafts she likes.

3. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Well as someone who likes to bake, maybe give her some deluxe baking equipment. Obviously don't want to swing for a three hundred dollar mixer but if there's maybe a cake decorating class in town, give her a certificate for a course?

5. lull23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Shit, my mum just got flowers and taken out for a meal. Is it a much bigger deal in the US?

6. I don't know if it is or not, but my relationship with my mom is not the norm either, so I have no idea!

But thanks everybody! I am gonna see if she has an amazon wishlist and of not, then I'll have my girlfriend help me pick out some trendy jewelry from a little store on the east side... :/

7. santaberry

Last year my grandmother was in hospice and died six days after Mother's Day so it was pretty hard to do anything meaningful or anything at all. I did swing by my work and grabbed a glee boom box though. I didn't want to get her NOTHING you know? But now this year I'm looking back and seeing how simple I should keep it. Maybe get something fancy from a bakery nearby? Wouldn't have to spend much for something small and a sweet card. Sometimes I even get her new things to try. You may not win but it shows you're thinking outside the box.

8. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Look, mother's day is just one of those commercial things.
    If the realtionship is not good, why give a damn about giving gifts just because the media tell you has to be done?

My mom gets breakfast in bed, and a nice card, expressing my love.

But if there is no love, I'd say, don't bother.
    If you really feel you should do something, the amount of money you spend on it is irrelevant.

As an infant it's all about the effort you put into it and a drawing or something is anough. Suddenly when we grow up it's about material things?

I never understood that.