1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One average, how long do lesbians date before being in a relationship?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by thinthinline, May 6, 2013.

1. thinthinline

On average, how long do lesbians date before deciding you two are in a relationship? I know with heterosexual couples it's usually around 2 months of dating. On average, is it typically the same for lesbians or is it quicker? Just curious.

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For my and my girlfriend, it was two or three months. No idea what the average is but I don't really think it matters in any individual case.

3. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was thinking the same thing because I've been dating a girl for about 8 months, however, we're not exclusive. It's mainly my decision not to be commited even though she wants to be exclusive. I guess I'm just not ready. On average and IMO, I'd say it's about the same as heterosexual couples if not sooner.

If anything, I thought love was suppose to come before a relationship. So, you fall in love then you become official. I guess I'm a sea turtle on land :frowning2:

#3 pinklov3ly, May 7, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
  4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's an old joke (and these stereotypical jokes often have a grain of truth in them):

What does a lesbian bring to a second date? A U-Haul.

What does a gay man bring to a second date? What second date?

5. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Meaning that they skip the second date and enter a relationship, or never see each other again?

6. FemCasanova

I have heard lesbians move quicker than straight couples, often moving in with each other prematurely. However, I think that goes for some, and not at all everyone. My GF and I was dating for almost 2 months before we officially "coupled up", and though we`ve been together for 6 months now, almost 7, I am in no hurry to move in or get married quite yet.

7. FruitFly

Haha.

I have met a few too many lovely women who, upon the first date, have decided we're madly, truly, deeply, in love and so compatible that they're planning the next 5 years of our lives. So for those lovely women the time span is generally pretty short, and they push for it to be short if you put on your breaks and request a little time to let the flush of infatuation wear off. If I were to use the experience of those around me as a guide, the lesbians I've known have gone from first date to committed relationship in under a month.

It's obviously down to the couple, but I'm a slow mover. I do not like entering a relationship when we've essentially only been getting to know each other romantically for 8 weeks, when I've tried to do so it has felt rushed and in turn made me feel uncomfortable with the fact we went from people who liked each other to committed relationship in such a short period of time. The older I get, the further away I push the goal posts when it comes to relationship land. Once upon a time I was happy to enter into a titled relationship in under a month of knowing someone, now it's more like 12 months with references*.

*I'm joking. Referees take too long to respond and their answers are always biased depending on how the relationship ended :icon_wink.

8. wolf27

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It can take a while. My girlfriend and I took forever to realize we were dating. By the time we both decided to just officially be together already, we'd apparently been dating for over a year. Both of us had been too shy to admit our feelings. XD