1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobia?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Dancer1234, May 9, 2013.

1. Dancer1234

Dancer1234 Guest

So one thing I have wondered is what is homophobia in other states and regions? Are some places like California and New York really any better for lgbt people? Please if u know, leave a comment, I would really like to know.

2. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    YAY A KANSAS BUDDY!!!! :grin:
    I don't know what part of Ks you're from, but in Lawrence, KS, it's one of the most accepting places in the Midwest (because of KU).

Anyway - yes; those places are generally more accepting.
    Typically, the youngest cities (cities with the youngest population) will be the most accepting. Our generation, having grown up with the internet and treating each other equally, is much more open to LGBT than the older folks.

NY is renowned for being LGBT-friendly, but there are also millions of people there, and you're also bound to meet some anti-gays.

The noobs (homophobes) are everywhere, sadly. Even in great cities like Lawrence, Chicago, and San Fransisco.

3. Hun

Hun

Well it really depends on where in the state you go. San Francisco is, stereotypically, much more LGBT friendly than Los Angeles. Unfortunately for me, I live in South Carolina. AKA that state that had a preacher blame American-North Korean tensions on homosexuals.

4. Dufflepud

Massachusetts is fantastic. There's very, very little serious homophobia here. We were the first state to legalize gay marriage, so that's to be expected.

5. Dancer1234

Dancer1234 Guest

I'm from a really small town in Kansas, like population 200 no joke

6. Zel

Zel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    TN sucks. They are even still highly racially segregated (not officially, but socially they are -- & not ashamed to verbalize racial slurs -- no mumbling it either -- straight out full volume hate). Plus, our state gov is super-majority republican at the moment. Although, TN has a longer history of being more of a split state; 50/50 R&D. I want to move, but have 2 problems: tight finances & feeling like I should stay to help change things. If I leave, that is one less supporter.

I wonder if there is such a thing as LGBT flash mobs for super conservative areas. It wouldn't help change anything, but it would make me laugh a lot to hear it on the news.

#6 Zel, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013
  7. castle walls

I love California! I've traveled through most of the state and it is fantastic. I think it can be a good place to be if you're in the GSM (gender or sexuality minority) community. In fact, often times more than one California city is on a "Best Gay Cities" list. The only thing is that it depends where in California you are. Not everywhere is San Francisco. If you're in a small town in California, it probably won't be all that gay friendly. However, if you're in an area like San Francisco, Los Angeles, Hollywood, Sacramento, Santa Rosa, San Diego, Guerneville, and so on, you'll probably enjoy the area.

Also, San Francisco isn't the only California city that has a "gay area" (Castro). There is also Laguna Beach (West Street Beach), San Diego (Hillcrest), Sacramento (Lavender Heights), San Jose (The Alameda) I think. It has been awhile since I've been to San Jose, Guerneville (pretty much the entire town), and so on and so on. Some of these areas are safer than others but I have a feeling they are all safer than a small town in the South

California can be expensive but I think that it is worth it. California isn't the only good area for the GSM community but it is a good choice. If you ever get the chance to visit, you should definitely take it

8. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The University of Kansas is very accepting, but I wouldn't go there on a bet TJ! Sorry, but I just grew up as a Mizzou boy my whole life, haha.

There's three areas in MO that are very LGBT friendly, KC, STL, and Columbia. Any other place is either generally accepting or you wouldn't go there on a bet. To be truthful there are a few schools around mine that I would feel uncomfortable being openly gay in. Especially since one of the athletes from said school called me a f***** on Twitter. I blocked him. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: