1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aspergers

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by HappyNerdyGamer, May 11, 2013.

1. Does anyone here have it or know a lot about it. I feel like based on what I've read about it that I sound like I would have it, but I want to know more and by no means am I asking for a diagnosis because I'm not going to find that online, I'm just trying to find a way to understand it better. I've taken two tests online (again, knowing that it's not by any means an accurate diagnosis, but a pretty good indication of the potential of having it).
    http://www.aspergerstestsite.com/75/autism-spectrum-quotient-aq-test/#.UY5aLaLvvbQ
    Aspie-quiz

I'm just curious as to what other people may get on those tests, and if it in any way it indicates enough validity to be concerned.

I attached my results to both tests.

Attached Files:

2. LibraryKitten

Out Status:
    Some people
    It looks like you may have Aspergers. I don't have it myself, but I've wondered before. For the first test, I got a score of 18.
    You may want to take the tests again a few times over the span of some time, because it is possible that your answers will vary depending on the kind of day you've had. If you get high scores each time, you could consider getting a diagnosis, but be careful! There's nothing wrong with having Aspergers, and in fact, a lot of people with it have been very valuable members of society, but there is a stigma attached to the label, so don't rush into labeling yourself too soon.
    Also, something you may find interesting is MBTI theory. It's possible that you're one of the personality types that has a stronger correlation to Aspergers, without actually having Aspergers. It's fun to research, in any case. =)

3. sillyolme

First one, I got 26, which is apparently borderline, but the second one I got 120 out of 200. However, I have dyspraxia, and a lot of the symptoms are similar.

One of the things that I noticed was that you mentioned before how you tend to zone out (Dyspraxics have a good long-term memory :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) which didn't seem to be included in the aspergers tests. Maybe, you might have dyspraxia? It's worth checking out (there are plenty of tests and forums online)

Okay, so it is part of aspergers... Sorry bout that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: However, I still think it is worthwhile checking dyspraxia out

#3 sillyolme, May 11, 2013
    Last edited: May 11, 2013
  4. Mogget

I was diagnosed with Asperger's a few years ago (though I suppose now my chart reads Autism Spectrum Disorder since the DSM-V merged it with AS). In terms of self-diagnosis, those sorts of tests are iffy, but they aren't useless. I've taken them, and they can definitely help to normalize feeling about some of my weirder traits.

Attached Files:

5. I don't think that's what I have, based on what I've read about it. Based on what I read about it, it mainly deals with movement and coordination. Unless there's more to it than what I've been reading, but based on that, it doesn't really match how I am. I took an online test for it as well and it said unlikely to have it, so it most likely isn't that.

6. saraph

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here are some questions from ASHA's Quality of Communication Life Scale. I want you to rate the following from 1-18 with 1 being the most positive rating and 18 being the least positive ranking.

1. I like myself.
    2. I am confident I can communicate.
    3. I keep trying when people don't understand me.
    4. I see the funny things in life.
    5. I stay in touch with family and friends.
    6. In general, my quality of life is good.
    7. I speak for myself.
    8. I make my own decisions.
    9. I like to talk with people.
    10. I meet the communication needs of my job or school...
    11. People understand me when I talk.
    12. I follow news, sports, and stories on TV/movies.
    13. Adults include me in conversations.
    14. I use the telephone.
    15. Peers include me in conversations.
    16. It's easy for me to communicate.
    17. I get out of the house and do things...
    18. I have household responsibilities...

You may also give these questions to your parents and have them rate you. You may post or PM me the results or you can take them to your school Speech-Language Pathologist for the interpretation.
    High-functioning Autism (formerly known as Asperger's) is very difficult to identify without strings of testing, language sampling, and thorough client/parent questionnaires and many people with HF-ASD tend to slip through the cracks.

The key issue here is, are you honestly having a hard time communicating with people on a daily basis?

If the answer is yes, you need to go see a Speech-Language Pathologist pronto and get evaluated.

7. 1. I see the funny things in life.
    2. Peers include me in conversations.
    3. I stay in touch with family and friends.
    4. People understand me when I talk.
    5. I follow news, sports, and stories on TV/movies.
    6. I make my own decisions.
    7. I get out of the house and do things...
    8. I keep trying when people don't understand me.
    9. I am confident I can communicate.
    10. Adults include me in conversations.
    11. I like to talk with people.
    12. I have household responsibilities...
    13. In general, my quality of life is good.
    14. I like myself.
    15. It's easy for me to communicate.
    16. I speak for myself.
    17. I meet the communication needs of my job or school...
    18. I use the telephone.

Was that how I was supposed to do it?

My speech and the way I talk is perfectly fine, I just lack proper communication skills. It's not about what I say, it's about how I can say it. I know the things I want to say but when it comes to actually saying them, I get to nervous and scared and I often end up passing up friendships or potential friendships due to fear. I'm fully capable of being able to articulate, I'm just not capable of initiating those thoughts and turning them into words.

8. saraph

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not what I meant. I should have been more specific, sorry. Each question itself can receive a 1-18 scoring. >.<;; so Q.1 can be 2 and Q.2 can be 10 etc.
    If you have no problem with articulating what you'd like to do you may just have general anxiety. Most of that can be worked through by reaching out and making new friends even if you are a shy person. Just set a goal to talk to one new person each week (whether they're in one of your classes or at a bookstore) and work through it. =)
    A huge thing to note with HF-ASD's is that speech and communication are heavily impacted. If you are unable to enter a conversation gracefully, or if you constantly are finding people telling you that what you're saying is rude, or if you have misarticulations/stuttering problems, if people don't want to talk to you or become irritated with what you're saying often, or if you are unable to read peoples emotions or facial expressions, or if your syntax and morphology are atypical then it's more on the ASD spectrum. Also, if you like spinning around in circles that's a good indication of ASD.
    I think you're fine from the sounds of it, but you may always request an evaluation from your school SLP.