1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Made fun of for voice

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BornInTexas, May 11, 2013.

1. BornInTexas

Well, this has been a LONG time since it started, and it is just starting to get really effffffffing annoying. Probably still less annoying than my voice apparently. People make fun of how nasaly it is, how ugly I sound, or stupid crap like that. I just ignore it, but it's getting harder, and I don't want to fly off the walls and punch someone.

Is there a way to make my voice sound less annoying, without having to purposely distort it?

2. santaberry

You are you. Don't let anyone make you think that you have to change that. Is it detrimental to your health? If not then just try to block them out. Someone out there will find your voice one that they want to hear on the other end of a phone every night and will find comfort in the way you speak your words. Don't take that away from them. You don't even know who they are yet.

3. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You tell them to go & take a run & jump into the Grand Canyon Dude, don't change for anyone, if then can't accept how you speak, then they are not worth talking to, you are a really nice person & your voice is part off that nice person, you come as the whole package, their voices are tainted by the ugly words they speak, so in my opinion it is their voices that are ugly not yours (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

4. ReyJ

Hi, I have had this problem- unfortunately most people don't seem to understand that making little comments on someone's voice will ruin their confidence.

For starters, I am sure your voice is fine- everyone has a different tone, and yours is part of what makes you you. If you are really certain that you want to change yourself, then:

In general, nasality comes from clenching the jaw too much when you speak so if you really want to change your voice, I'd suggest trying to speak (just to yourself in the mirror or something, but I'd suggest recording yourself) whilst pretending that your teeth have something separating them- roughly the size of the width of a finger between your back teeth.

Another thing hat could be happening, is you may be placing your voice too far into your face. Something that worked for me, was pinching with my head very gently ABOVE my Adam's apple and try to speak whilst moving the Adam's apple as little as possible. It is very difficult to describe, but, if you restrict the larynx movement at first manually, it will eventually become second nature. With a low larynx and an open throat (basically open the back of your throat so it feels how it feels when yawning) it is almost impossible to produce a nasal tone.

These come from my personal studies of vocal pedagogy (I have a minor obsession with the human voice), so they might not work for you- but the second one definitely worked for me. If you have any questions, please feel to ask me and I'll try my best to answer them, but the general gist is to relax your muscles etc. and to record yourself so you know if it is working.
    I hope it works for you!

5. AKTodd

My first inclination is to suggest that you just ignore the people saying this.

My second thought is that if folks are going to hit you with this, then OWN it. In other words, start playing with it. If someone tells you your voice is annoying, give em an evil grin and joyfully say something like 'Oh great, it's working than!' or something like. Basically, don't just sit there and take it, nor get angry, but turn their statements back on them and maybe make them look silly. Or make it clear you aren't going to be hurt by it.

I realize the above may not fit your personality or feelings and am certainly not suggesting that you just power through and laugh it off. But figured I'd just throw this additional option out there since it might appeal to you.

Hope this helps,

Todd

6. KingdomKeyDK

Don't worry about it. It happens to me sometimes. People make fun of my appearance, but the best thing to do is to ignore them. The other day, this girl pissed me off, and I said something mean. That's not me, so I said sorry. She stopped, for now. Just ignore them. They'll stop sooner or later because they don't get the attention they want.

7. saraph

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all, hyper nasality is typically a sign of a submucosal clef palate. You should talk to your Primary Care Physician to ensure you do not have a condition that needs to be addressed with medical treatment. Though they are easily corrected with surgery.

Second, if it is not due to a preexisting medical condition and you have no history of injury to your ear, head, nose, or throat area you may want to see a Speech-Language Pathologist (aka - a speech therapist). They can provide you with therapy that will help correct your hyper nasality. If everything goes well, you may only need a few sessions. Typically, unintentional hyper nasality is due to habits developed in infancy like tongue thrusting or poor control of your velum. Your school should have SLP services for free or if you're in college already, your school may have an on campus clinic that provides free services to students. =)

I used to be hyper nasal as well. I was in choir and had private vocal lessons (which is how I learned to control my velum) and that got rid of the problem and made me a better singer! It's very common, so you don't need to feel bad or embarrassed about it.

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you want to learn to better control your voice (and assuming you don't have any deformities in how it works) you might consider singing lessons. They teach you to differentiate between chest and head voices, and different pitched notes have different mixes of nasality and chest resonance.

Sorry you are getting bullied for this though. People can be such dicks! >.<

9. KingdomKeyDK

This is off topic, but are you a doctor? This is also a stupid question...

10. Sully

Oh shit man! I feel your pain! I have a very weird voice, it's monotone, yet high and low and it's just all over the place, even after my voice had finished breaking.

I remember at school when I was 16 or so, in class and a 'friend' just declared really loudly in front a load of other people (friends and others), "IT'S LIKE YOUR BALLS HAVE HALF DROPPED!". I was mortified. Who the hell says that. WHO THE HELL?