1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Piercings.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Goodnyte, May 11, 2013.

1. Goodnyte

Okay, so I am thinking about getting a tongue piercing. Not now, when I am 15 or 16. As a gift to myself per se for reasons unknown yet. I also want to get an eyebrow piercing and/or lip ring.

I guess I am asking for advice as to what it is like. Does it hurt? Do you enjoy it? Would you take it back? How about rhe swelling? Eating? Drinking? That sort of stuff. With the eyebrow piercing, does it rip out easily due to sleeping and things like that? I also do competitive swimming, so how would that effect an eyebrow or lip piercing?

This is mainly directed to those who have these piercings or had them. Thanks in advance.

2. Sully

Look. I find piercings really hot. But don't go crazy! Guess it really depends on who you are though.

3. cemma

I haven't had a tounge but my eyebrow is something I probably regret- dont get me wrong I lovve piercings and have a ton but my eyebrow I had to take out all the time for so many things, it got caught on my pillow alot etc, it got to the point where I was just like ok its going to have to go no matter how much i like it because it is such an inconvinence. But because of the tissue there it scars quite obviously and doenst look so hot now.. also with your swimming would it effect your streamline?
    tounges Ive heard barely hurt, but you have to look after them to stop swelling etc really really well.

4. Elena

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had several piercings done but no oral ones. I have a quite high pain tolerance so I barely felt a pinch when I got pierced, and even if it would hurt more, it would only last a second. Once you got pierced, aftercare is very important and your piercer should explain you all details. Make sure you go to a reputable piercer because it's important not only for the piercing to look good, but also for your safety (a studio in my town doesn't clean their stuff properly and several people already contrated Hepatitis from them). I do hear tongue is very painful due to it being a muscle. If you plan to get all these piercings I would suggest getting another one first so you can see how you handle that pain.

5. oblina

I have had 5 lip piercings total, i first had spider bites (two on one side) on the left, then another pair on the right about a year after. The first pair gave me a little trouble cause i a have thick lips, and a regular piercing stud wasnt long enough, so it was too tight and my lip tried to grow around it. Painful, and gross. The second pair didnt heal in time for me to switch out clear studs daily for my next job, so i took them out. Then i took out the first pair for a center labret, which is healing perfectly. It does hurt, a lot in some cases, but it is definitely worth it if it is something you want! Baby your piercings, but don't irritate it. Remember it is an open wound in your body, you don't want to infect it!

6. Femmeme

I haven't had my tongue done but I have a few other piercings including a lip piercing. I didn't find any of them to be particularly painful... but I have a high pain tolerance (I didn't think natural childbirth was all that bad either.)

The lip piercing gave me the most trouble, as it did not want to heal. I deal with a minor infection and have a small keloid scar inside my mouth from it.

Surface piercings, like the eyebrow, have a VERY high rate of rejection (i.e. your body pushes the jewelry up through and out of your skin.) I've know dozens of people who had eyebrow piercings, only ONE person I know has been able to keep the piercing. Everyone else just has a scar from rejection.

If you're serious about getting multiple piercings do a lot of research. Research the shops, the types of piercing you want, what types of jewelry works best for the healing AND maintainance phases, cleaning techniques... Piercings (and body mods in general) are less a fashion accessory and more a hobby.

7. UndercoverGypsy

I have one on my left earlobe (I think that's the straight one, but oh well). It didn't hurt at all for me - I didn't flinch or any of that stuff. I hear that it's different for everyone, though. I'm considering getting a helix piercing (cartilage) as soon as possible.

Saline solution is awesome for making sure it doesn't get infected. I'm pretty sure that the swimming won't help, though (swim cap for the time being?).

8. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had my tongue pierced a few years ago (but stupidly took it out - want to have it redone). Anyway... The piercer sprayed something on my tongue to numb it slightly (though you can still feel the needle go through). It all depends on your pain threshold, but it didn't hurt as bad as I thought it would.

The majority of the healing takes up to six weeks. For the first two weeks, you're not allowed to (French) kiss or perform oral sex, and have to live off fluids only, eg. cup-a-soup. After each "meal" or drink during the six weeks, you have to rinse your mouth with Listerine (the gold one). The remaining four weeks, you may switch to soft foods that don't require much chewing, eg. mash, mince and pasta. After the six weeks are over, you can start eating normally again, and change your barbell if you wish to do so.

Your tongue will be quite sore the morning after you had it pierced. To ease pain and bring down swelling, you can suck on ice cubes. Try to keep talking to a minimum during the healing period, especially the first couple of days, as this will interfere with the healing

Your piercer should give you after-care instructions too.

I don't have experience with eyebrow or lip piercings, but hope you'd enjoy all of them :icon_wink:thumbsup:

9. Jacki

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi!
    I have a tongue piercing for one month now.
    The first trhee days or so it was swollen, and it hurted about one week and a half.
    Eating hurted too... And talking! But its defenetly woth it!!
    The pierce of the piercing hurted a little it but less than i expected.
    You shoulndt eat milk products in the first week and no spicey/verhot/cold stuff. Also no fruits juices. At first you will get a long bar (because of the swelling) which will be exchanged after two weeks for a shorter bar.
    And btw the price is about 50$ i guess. (in my country it were 50€ i dont now how much it is in dolar exactly)
    hope i could help you! :grin:

10. manoverboard09

I had my lip pierced. It only hurt when the needle went in.. for like a split second.
    But then it kinda goes numb.
    It's not too bad, really.
    And I think piercings are hot too.
    As long as you don't have a face full, lol. Lip ring got a little irritating sometimes.. it would swell if I hit it on accident (it being my lip), and my dental hygienist stuck the utensils through the ring quite a few times.. one time she screamed lol!
    I took it out because I couldn't get a job with it. I miss it.

11. Music Heals

I have nine ear piercings, but I haven't had any done in my face or anything. Getting piercings done in your cartilage pinches for like a second, then feels really really hot for the next few days. If it gets infected at all, it swells up into a nasty bump around your piercing :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I only got my one piercing to look normal after a year of having it!

Like I said, I've never had any face things done, but my one friend tried to pierce her own eyebrow once. Er, yeah. Just go to n actual piercing place instead. As everyone else has said, make sure the place is reputable and clean!!! I've heard that with a tounge piercing it makes talking nigh impossible for quite some time, and eating pretty painful. Good luck!

12. Britishskittles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    have you lot ever found it hard to get work because of piercings , I want to get my cartilage and nose done but I am worried about job interviews, some places seem to want you to take them out while at work which would be okay if id had them pierced for more than a couple of months.

13. Goodnyte

Even that is a problem I suggest just getting the clear ones. They are near unnoticeable and it shouldn't bother with your work.

14. TraceElement

I have 19 total. I have a tragus, rook, eyebrow, lobes and cartilege. As for my eyebrow, it did bleed for me, but died down. It was swollen for a few days, and I had a partial black eye for at least a week or 2. It healed relatively quick, I'd say around a month.

15. wayne1983

16. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have had my ear pierced twice & it didn't hurt, as with all piercings, the aftercare is important :slight_smile:

17. Zoe

Zoe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey There, Good Nyte-

I love piercings. I don't have any besides my ears because I work in a very conservative career. I did used to have my belly-button pierced, which I loved.

I don't mean to be a downer here, but my step-father is a dentist, and he's talked a lot about how damaging tongue piercings are on teeth. Often, tongue piercing results in chipped and broken teeth, which can results in fillings, root canals or extractions.

Sorry--I don't mean to be the naysayer. I just want to make you aware of possible risks. I don't have one, so I haven't personally experienced any of this, and people who have had tongue piercings may talk about different experiences. Given my step-father's experience, I just wanted to weigh in.

--Zoe

18. Hexagon

I used to have a tongue piercing. I also used to have two lip piercings. I have recently just had my lips pierced again, and also my eyebrow.

I was bribed to take out the tongue piercing by my mother because of a supposed cancer risk. I don't know how real it is though. My tongue piercing didn't hurt much. The tongue swells a bit at first, but they give you a longer bar to accomodate that. It feels out of place in your mouth at first, but surprisingly quickly, it starts to feel odd when it isn't there, and you get used to its presence. To take care of it, gargle pre-boiled salt water every day.

My lip piercings didn't hurt much the first time. They hurt the second time because of scars, but you won't have that problem. I didn't swell up at all, but others do sometimes. You take care of it in much the same way as the tongue, and you should be able to change the piercing within about six weeks.

My eyebrow hurt, and bled profusely, but not so much that I moved while it was being pierced, and the pain and bleeding subsided pretty quickly. I haven't heard of eyebrows being ripped out, and it certainly hasn't happened to me. I clean it with a cotton bud and tea tree oil gave to me by the studio. You can also use the preboiled salt water mentioned above.

I've never had a problem with eating or drinking. As for swimming, I don't think there is a significant problem. You can't swim for a while after though. But the only real consideration after that is drag, and if you put in studs rather than rings for the competitions, the drag would be negligible.

Anyway, I like piercings. As you might have noticed :slight_smile:. Good luck.

19. Kyllani

I've had multiple piercings over the years, and I've enjoyed most of them.

Please make sure you go somewhere reputable, though. Especially if you decide on your tongue. It's not exactly the safest piercing you can get, so go somewhere good.

The tongue swelling isn't terrible. You'll sound funny for a couple of days and you should avoid certain foods. It probably hurt the most of my piercings, but the tongue heals quickly if you keep an eye on it.

I don't really remember my lip piercing. I had it years ago for the shortest amount of time of any piercing I've ever had. I didn't really like it so I took it out not long after it healed.

I love my eyebrow piercing though. I recently got it re-pierced after having it out for a few years. It hurt, but it wasn't terrible. The only thing I've ever had a problem with it catching on is my towel after a shower. It happens so infrequently that it doesn't really bother me.

The biggest thing is, again, go somewhere reputable. Do your research first. After that, do a good job of taking care of it and you should be fine.

20. KnownSecret

I have been really wanting to get a piercing lately, I have never really been into the whole body mod thing but I really would love some piercings/tattoo's haha I have yet to really decide what I want either way (tattoo wise and piercing wise) I really was thinking about getting my eyebrow pierced and or snake bites I have yet to choose yet I want to choose something that would look good on me instead of taking all the pain for me to take it out cuz I don't like how it looks