1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my mom and she confused me even more than when I was questionning - help!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by marieblue, May 12, 2013.

1. marieblue

Hi I've been on here before but I'm feeling insecure again! So a couple years back I came out to my mom as bisexual (actually thinking I was a lesbian) after falling for my best friend and subsequently other girls as a teen. A few weeks ago I came out again. Needless to say both times it didn't go well and my mom came up with all sorts of questions that confused the hell out of me. Since then I have been unhappy and became confused again.

She basically said that I confused admiration for love with my friendship. She has also told me that gay people know when they are young and that since I was around 14 at the time I realized my affection for women that I couldn't be gay. I will admit that I haven't really had any significant crushes on either sex before then maybe a couple tiny ones on guys. Then she has also told me that I haven't dated guys and that I don't go off enough. True is the dates I have been on usually stem from friendships I have with guys where I end up settling hoping that my feelings grow. Ironically if the relationship happens to go on for a while, I usually end up straying emotionally and get caught up with crushes on my lady friends and other women - which leads me with enough guilt to break up.

The last thing that shook me was when she asked me was if I could have sex with other women and that she thought I just wanted attention. Truth is although I'm not a virgin, I haven't slept with any women, nor have I ever been in a relationship with one. This goes to say that it made me super insecure to the point where I couldn't really answer. I mean I haven't before so how could I know like she said? This said back then I concluded I was gay because I keep getting intense infatuations with women to the point where I think of dating them and almost romanticize friendships. I'm just scared that once I get in a relationship that my mom will end up being right and those butterflies feelings will disappear and I won't want to have sex anymore.

On another note I will say that they weren't the greatest or most attentive guys but I wasn't the best girlfriend either because in the back of my mind I always had the thoughts of other girls - so maybe I haven't met the right guy?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Came out to my mom and she confused me even more than when I was questionning - h

It doesn't sound to me like you're confusing admiration for love with your friendhip.

And there are plenty of gay people who don't figure out they're gay until well into their 20s or beyond.

I don't think you "haven't met the right guy"; I'm pretty sure from what you've said you're gay. Your mom is just having a hard time accepting that.

3. Idris

Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: Came out to my mom and she confused me even more than when I was questionning - h

I can sympathize with you there. My mom does the same exact thing. I was told quite a few times by her that "you just haven't met the right guy,'' and it took me coming out three different times for her to realize that I could be attracted to women as well. Although I'm still figuring out the degree of attraction to males, I know enough to know that I've been like this since I was thirteen so I don't force it.

Just be yourself, and follow your heart(it was advice given to me when I first was questioning). It sounds like you know what you want and know exactly where you're going:slight_smile: