1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is they anyway to stop feeling so negative and ugly and worthless all the time?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Gazza123, May 14, 2013.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

So my support worker guy person is poorly so as of late I haven't been able to go to any new appointments which is a bummer but, people can't help bribg sick I guess... If I am slightly peeved about the whole thing since I kinda relied on the weekly sessions. They kept progress going and since I haven't been able to go, things just seen to have grinded to a halt.

Anyways I thought maybe you guys might have some advice on what to do. See, with me, I always see the negative side of things... Doesn't matter what it is I will always find an obstacle or negative thing about it. Never positive... Well maybe sometimes but the negative stuff tends to over rule it.

And I've always felt ugly... Never happy with my self. I try new clothes, hairstyle (although I'm pretty limited m) I still can't look in the mirror and think "your awesome" and see the positives. I just feel 'meh' all the time. I look and go "he's got better hair than me" or "he's gotta better dress sense" or variations of it.

I feel worthless... Maybe not totally worthless but around confident people I feel small and over ruled.

I just. Wanna be happy but I just feel all thus stuff piling on and burying me.... And no i don't want a boyfriend. I did, until I realised "what guy would be interested in mess like me"... Besides I wouldn't know where to start or even if its worth it.

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    well you look very good in the photo to me !!!!

I think these are likely issues slightly out of proportion - may be connected with low self esteem... or maybe a bit of depression??

I think most people dislike how they look and it is always amplified in the presence of more attractive people ... or when looking at model-quality people .. I know I do...

but by definition, MOST people are average looking and have low confidence !! welcome to the world

how to build your self confidence? is something you can discuss/ work on with your support worker. Maybe some serious counselling or therapy would help you if you find these feelings are dominating your life

If you put yourself out there ... someone's gonna find you awesome pretty soon I bet

3. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One thing that helps for me is to get my loved ones to tell me what they like about me. In my case I don't care about my appearance, so it has to be all things like kind, caring, thoughtful, empathetic, etc. But for you maybe you could ask for appearance-related compliments as well as personality ones.

4. AKTodd

Could you maybe start keeping sort of a journal in which you write down the negative thing and then have to balance them out by writing down an equal number of positive things? Make it a rule for yourself that you have to write down the postive stuff and if you equal them out (or get more positives than negatives) you get to treat yourself in some fashion.

I'm never thrilled with my appearance but I find that dressing simply, comfortably, and functionally (polo shirts in muted solid colors or fine patterns and jeans for work for example) is generally fine for my needs and self-esteem on this. Also, getting a good deal on price is nice and makes me feel good about the purchase.

Perhaps take up a hobby or exercise routine (IIRC you mentioned wanting to exercise in another thread a bit ago) that is structured such that you can readily and objectively track your progress. Running or swimming with get you in shape and you can readily measure and compare yourself objectively to others performance (unlike appearance which is a subjective thing).

I do think a lot of what you're feeling is psychological (and suspect you know this yourself since you're seeing a support worker) and so may be resistant to change even if you looked like a supermodel and had the fitness level of an Olympic gymnast or something. But almost nobody is like that, so we just have to make the best of what we have. Which can be pretty darn good actually:slight_smile:

Hope this helps,

Todd