1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having a hard time saying 'I'm gay' out loud?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by djmhyru, May 15, 2013.

1. djmhyru

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've recently (read: last september) came to terms with myself and how I feel, I said 'Yup, I'm gay' and I'm super ok with who I am.
    I started the process of coming out to other people, and basically came out to the most important people in my life (not including my parents). The thing is... every time I seem to be struggling to say it out loud to other people: 'So... I'm gay'.
    I don't know why. It's not that I doubt myself (that maaaaybe I'm not gay) or am ashamed of who I am (this is who I am, regradless of the opinion of certain people I'm not going to try and change it).

Has anyone experienced such a thing? Do I just need it to give it more time, maybe it will help?

2. Hefiel

Are you perhaps afraid of their reaction? That could be a possible reason for hesitating when coming out.

3. evora

I can't say it either.:frowning2:
    It's not that I don't want to but I literally can't speak if I want to say it because I don't know how and the words just aren't coming out of my mouth. My voice goes away, etc..:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. SoulJourneyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I find it is the label. No one has to announce 'I'm Stright' - seems ridiculous to even think about that.
    Try doing it backwards . . . I am so not straight!

5. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aye I know what you mean.

I've gone to a "Tell if they ask" policy.
    To be quite honest, you don't NEED to come out to everyone, mainly just family members and close friends.
    Your sexuality is such a minute part of who you are.

Don't worry about telling everyone. Only tell people who ask or who you're comfortable with knowing.

But yes - it might just be that you need time.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually suggest saying it to yourself until you get used to it. Every morning, look in the mirror and say "I'm gay". Eventually, it'll feel less like an admission/confession, and more like a simple statement of fact. :slight_smile:

Lex

7. bagginses

bagginses Guest

Yep, I had too big of an Ego to say "I'm gay"
    So I just wrote it on a paper and gave it to my friends. After that my friends started asking me questions and by the end of the conversation I was saying "I'm Gay" Out loud with out a care.

8. theCHIVEguy21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It took me so long to even say it out loud by myself. It took me even longer to say it in front of other people. Luckily, my two best friends knew a little so it was fairly easy to come out to them. But when I was ready to come out to my parents, I wanted soooooo bad to say straight to their face, "I am gay". But every time I was going to say it, I would make a sound...but nothing. I ended up writing them a letter and now I am able to say it without hesitation.

I think it is just the first couple times telling people is the hard part. But It does get easier to say, even to yourself.

9. fairlyfey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So far I've never really been the one to bring it up, mainly because I don't want to make a big deal out of it. If someone asks I'll just say "yeah" or "well actually I'm bi/pan" or something like that. I'm afraid that if I just say "I'm bisexual" out of left field that it will come across as narcissistic because I want to talk about myself. That's probably ridiculously meek on my part.

On the other hand, I almost think it's more fun to comment on the attractiveness of someone of the same sex just to catch them off guard. The surprised look on their faces is priceless. :lol: