1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A shyness when it comes to job interviews/calls?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ANightDude, May 15, 2013.

1. ANightDude

Hello all,

I was wondering if you all could help with a problem I'm facing. I'm out of school for the summer and, obviously, am needing a summer job. However, I'm holding back on applications because - simply put - I'm afraid.

I've got two opportunities - one is a work a movie theater, standard fare. The other is work a historical landmark downtown that I'm very passionate about. My problem is here, though - I'm scared of employers.

For the downtown job, I'd have to call in and ask to be connected to people and all that and... it scares me. I don't want to do it because I'm simply scared of rejection, perhaps, or that they'll think I'm an idiot for calling and asking for job openings (which is even stranger, because I know they are hiring).

The other one is a potential interview and all that. And then I get frightened people will judge me, I won't make any friends at my job and I'll just be sitting around with no one to talk to... all these things that I feel are ridiculous but actually sort of terrify me.

Is this normal? And can someone give me some good advice when it comes to this?

Thanks a bunch!

2. Hefiel

Force yourself to do it. Especially the downtown one.

There's really no other tip, but to force yourself to do it. If you already know that they're hiring, call to see if you can meet the employer and bring your CV, or go directly over there with your CV in hand (although depending on the company that may or may not be feasible)

Rejection happens, but you'll also gain experience from passing job interviews, and you can also use this opportunity to ask the interviewer what you could improve next time for a future job interview (at whatever company). The employers I've met were generally nice people, and they certainly didn't mind giving you a few tips from their perspective as employers. Plus, from their perspective, having someone ask them for tips shows that you're willing, and they might be able to point you in some direction.

Rejection is definitively the last thing you should be worried about. Force yourself to call and land an interview. Worst case scenario, you don't get through, but since you had nothing to begin with, you lost nothing either. Look for another job and apply.

3. Anomander

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Feeling nervous for interviews is very normal but it is something that gets easier the more you do it. Last year I was looking for internships and outa the 50 places I applied to I only heard back from 4. Three of them rejected me after the interview and one accepted me and now I have a full time job with them I start in a week. My very first interview was over the phone and I was sitting up in my room wearing a suit because I read it makes you sound more confident ;P

The point is each time you do it you get more comfortable because its essentially the same thing over and over again. Dress nice (you wont need to wear a suite to work in a movie theater) and prepare yourself. Research the company/ position and common interview questions. Iv'e been asked "Tell me something about the company", "Why the company", "Whats your greatest weakness" ect.

Google provides lots of good examples to answers and common questions that get asked as well as breakdown of behavioral interviewing and STAR responses. Of course these are more internship/ corporation things not something you are likely to face in the positions you are looking at but it can still help. Also look at resume and cover letter templates and make those look great. You will be nervous though and that will show no matter how much you hope it dose not, BUT keep at it. Hell apply to positions you don't want at all just for the practice and then if you get something you can always tell them no after. An interview is not a commitment to work for them if they accept you.

The most important thing is to be yourself and be personable though. While company culture can vary, generally no one wants to work with someone who will make the environment seem like a funeral home. The job I interned at and start soon hired by because I expressed my excitement and was personable. It matters allot if they like you. Mind you I have no formal back ground in my position but that is something that can be trained =)

I think I just went off on a tangent but if you need more help with anything just message me. Interviews, cover letters, templates ect I'm young but I went though allot of that last year and feel I have gotten pretty good. At the end of the day though your 18 so don;t sweat it to much yet =) enjoy being young, the cubicle world is an adjustment.