1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picking out a name.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Oddish, May 16, 2013.

1. Oddish

Oddish Guest

So, I'm getting my name legally changed before I start college, I finally convinced my mother through thick and thin and all of the fights and countless arguments we've endured, that this is something I need to do. I want to finally live as myself in uni, and not play name games and summarize my life story or tell every single teacher of mine about my reasoning for why I want to be called a certain name.

With that said... I've been having some trouble deciding on a name. My birth name is Shania, but I've been going by Chany/CJ for most of my life.. and only recently started going by Shan earlier this year. While I do like Shan and my parents, friends and coworkers have adjusted to referring to me by that nickname, it doesn't sound "secure" enough as my legal name. To me, just having my name as "Shan" sounds like having my name as "Sam" but it's not short for anything, such as Samuel. It's just "Sam." And it comes across as kind of odd.

Alright.. enough babble.

Out of these names, which one comes across as the best to you?

I'm undecided between:

- Chris (Christian)
    - Shane
    - Chase

As you probably picked up on, I'm trying to stay within the "Sh/Ch" spelling so my parents don't completely flip on me.

If you have any other suggestions, I'm open. They don't necessarily have to fit within the same category or appear similar.

2. animequeen567

I love the sound of the name "Shane". Or Chris is also a nice name. Chase is eh... But it's your choice. That's my opinion :grin:

3. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Shane, for sure.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep. Closest to your given name, undeniably masculine, and very nice. :slight_smile:

5. Theodora

I like Shane too. :slight_smile:

Chris seems a bit too common to me. Chase is nice.

6. glitter pills

personally, i don't like shane that much
    i like chris and chase a lot though

7. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Looks like Shane is the popular vote. It's really between that and Chris.. though Shane is pretty much the male version of my given name, so it might make it easier for those close to me to get used to it.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

8. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

You know, honestly, you look like a Shane. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: