1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extreme Anxiety

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by theMaverick, May 19, 2013.

1. theMaverick

Brought on by severe weather.

Like devastatingly severe anxiety. I'm in Oklahoma for the summer and today we are having the usual bit of severe weather and I'm paralyzed with fear and anxiety even though I'm not in the area currently affected by a tornado. Just the risk of a tornado is enough to set up pretty severe anxiety, and then if anything is within 100 miles of me, I freak out. This has been a problem since I was a kid.

Does anyone have the same fear? This is definitely a phobia. It used to keep me up at night just from the thought of tornadoes, even when the weather was calm. I've gotten a little better when the weather is calm, but during the spring months, I pretty much carry this gnawing anxiety level set on low and then at the first word of any risk it goes into hyper extreme overdrive.

What can I do?

By the way, I'm entirely well educated on tornadoes, and tornado safety, and what to do in a tornado, and what the risks are, and I know that, by the numbers, it's actually really unlikely to be killed or injured in a tornado, but yet every year people die, and I don't know what to do.

2. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Welcome to Oklahoma. Get out the video camera and go find some tornadoes man!

You'll be fine dude. Nothing really that serious yet. When they blow the sirens that's when you should worry.

3. theMaverick

Yeah...that doesn't matter.