1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by regret, May 21, 2013.

1. regret

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I'll be going to College this June.:eusa_clap I'm not so sure if when classes start in other countries, but here in the Philippines, all classes start at June. I'm taking up Political Science with Major in International Relations. I personally chose the said course because its where I'm closest to supporting LGBT Rights. Yipee!(!)

I'm pretty excited whilst nervous at the same time. :dead: Sooo, any tips on making friends easily? I'm really terrible at starting conversations with people.:confused: Also, how can I make my college life (with me being gay) more worthwhile?

2. NeonMan

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I am still a first year in college( I am an Octoberian graduate, hopefully).
    But here's are the tips I can give you, if you are going to a place faraway from your hometown.

Most probably, there will be people residing in that hometown that will go to the college the same as yours, if they approach you converse with them for a minute or two until they feel comfortable with you.

Or if no one approached you because you came late to school, try looking for a seat and ask the person who is sitting next to that seat if that seat is available and if he said yes, start a conversation with him/her.

Do not worry if you don't make friends on the first day of classes though, there's still the second day.

Overall, just be cheery on the first day because everyone is looking for friends too. Good luck with college!

:slight_smile:

3. Britishskittles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yahy , good luck , id say from my experiences the first couple of weeks is the most important , try and start conversation with everyone you can, its something I put off because I felt shy but the first semesters when everyone meeting new people who probably wont be your best friends for life but there friend mates roommate may be so get talking to them too and the random person in the que behind you having your photo taken. I found going to college really weird experience cause us English people are pretty unfriendly so suddenly being thrown into a weird place where everyone talks to each other was odd rather like being in the states, but it its a good way to make friends. I wouldn't worry about what to say a first you will just asked where your from your name and what your studying at first about a million times till your very sick of it and finding people with similar interests will help so look out for the politics society and the lgbt society and others at the freshers fair and get involved with them. If you can find your new housemates on facebook before you move in with them that's a good idea so you recognise someone and they may have friends you might grow to be friends with.
    try Home for some good advice on being gay at uni (college) I know its a british website so the colleges they will be refrying to be will be British ones but there is still some good advice in there. If you are struggerling to be accepted once you there the drama and phychology societys tend to be full of gay people and accepting straight people (maybye its just my uni) but if you have an interest in any areas of them I would suggest having at look at joining up with there societys. People tend to be a lot more accepting once they are at college in general because they have grown up a bit from school so there is generally less issues with homophobia if any so I wouldn't worry so much about your sexuality just have fun (and get an education)

4. regret

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll definitely look that up :icon_bigg
    I just hope that's the case here in our country. I'll try to be more optimistic :thumbsup:

I doubt if I'll have at least three friends in the first day haha :lol:

5. Rinto

Rinto Guest

Hi there regret.
    In my own experience, I was never the talkative kind of person like you but I slowly started having friends who I shared the same interests with. It will take some while but do the best that you can. With what happened to me, I was able to get closer with my coursemates and my boardmates so maybe, you'll be able to become close to those people if you try opening up.

You can also try joining events in school that may cater to your interests and may help with your abilities and talents.

A word of warning though, don't go jumping into things right away. I know you're excited and all but you should know that you still are new to the place. I'm not trying to scare you but I'm just trying to help you get into some path that may bring you trouble.

Setting all serious things aside, enjoy your college life and live life to the very best. Just don't forget about your family and yourself, of course. It'd be good for you. :slight_smile: