1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you do to take your mind off of things?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by PurpleRain, May 24, 2013.

1. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really need help taking my mind off of... life basically. I'm tired, dysphoric, hurt and I need an escape. I've tried everything and at this point I'm desperately searching for some way to make all the bad stop. I just need something to focus on that's creative rather than destructive. Normally I draw, play music, or talk to people and I've tried all of that and I can't help but let things get to me still.... :icon_sad:

So what do you guys do to just take your mind off of the world?

2. runnerSR20

runnerSR20 Guest

I swim 4-5x a week. It takes my mind off things since I'm so focused on my stroke. The effects last long after due to the endorphins. If I start feeling stressed and dysphoric it's usually because I haven't done any exercise for a few days.

3. BudderMC

I'm a big gamer, so I'll get myself lost in online games. By taking control of my character, I forget about my problems and focus on whatever it is they need to do.

Otherwise, I'll second the above and say exercise. I'm not in shape and I really dislike anything cardio-heavy, but going for a run usually clears my head. When I'm running I'm focusing on my form and my breathing (and music, if I'm listening to it), and by the time I get back I'm tired (I usually run at night, so it's time to go to sleep then too).

I used to meditate on occasion, so definitely give it a shot if you're even remotely interested. Even the most basic meditations can serve to clear your mind, which really is all you need, right?

And finally, on days when I can't distract myself from my thoughts, I indulge in them. I'll go for a walk or take a shower or whine to a friend or make a lengthy post on here about it. Sometimes, just sometimes, letting myself actively focus on whatever's stressing me out rather than trying to push past and ignore it lets me get over it faster. I try to use this as a last resort though, since if it backfires, then I end up further from my goal of "getting over it" (especially if I have assignments I need to do or something).

4. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks guys. I really need to excercise anyway (I'm so out of shape I can't keep a steady run for 10 minutes...), and meditation sounds great. My teacher in high school had a yoga/meditation club that I got to go to once. After that my ex wouldn't let me go anymore. :dry: It was really enjoyable though. :slight_smile:

5. LailaForbidden

I walk. I walk until I get stuck in the rhythm of it and everything else sort of fades to the background. And then when I finally snap back to reality my legs are a-shakin' like mad. But it's worth it.

#5 LailaForbidden, May 24, 2013
    Last edited: May 24, 2013
  6. Mysz

Gaming and exercise. But it can't be running or swimming; while doing those, your mind may still drift onto the very topics you're trying to forget; so I bike long distances instead. You continuously need to focus on balance (if on the aerobars xD ) and try not to get run over or hit a pothole. Pretty distracting! Oo, and agreed on the yoga. It's really enjoyable when you have a friend to do it with. (Preferrably one not insanely flexible, so you don't get jealous, haha).

7. Hexagon

I hit punchbags, I listen to music, I read about other people's problems on support forums, I think about philosophy, I play videogames, I write fiction and I plan my escape from this hell.

8. mpac21

I tend to walk or bike to Lake Michigan and just stare out and meditate....it really does wonders. Besides that I tend to also do my fair share of gaming....in some cases where I really need to go somewhere different (and may make me sound quite odd lol) I ride the bus around the city and just zone out

9. Maea96

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I open up my japanese study book and study japanese, or play video games like cod/aion. I usually listen to anime osts (original soundtrack) or openings/endings that I connect with feelings I got from watching the anime. I love the ones from "Shiki" and "Another" (they are incredible, believe me)

and I sometimes draw. I'm not good at detailed stuff, but drawing abstract things. It's really fun.

10. rg93

I usually run while listening to music and expanding my physical endurence limits.. sometimes more than I should, but it feels good afterwards. Also, picking up a long RPG for the PC like skyrim or mass effect or dragon age (depending on taste) is a really good time sink and really takes you into an awesome universe :slight_smile: Gaming can be so nice, sometimes.