1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apartment Advice Needed

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Mrcake, May 25, 2013.

1. Mrcake

I will be moving in an apartment by August and I have three choices as of now: The first choice is a single bedroom apartment that is 700 square feet and it is in a house. the apartment is on the top level and everything is included in the apartment except for sewer,water,electricity and internet - this price is $470. The problem I have with this one is that it is not very private, and I don't think the bathroom is private either.
    The second choice is a single bedroom, doesn't say that square footage, $460 a month. Everything is included, washer and dryer but coin operated, all amenities included, not sure about the refrigerator and stuff - doesn't mention one. I would say that this is the best choice, it seems pretty private, but doesn't have more than one picture to show it.
    The third apartment is the luxury apartment costing $605 a month. Everything is included and the apartment is in a building with 86 apartments. This apartment is fully loaded and comes with washer\dryer, bathroom, stove, fridge, etc. I am not sure that this is the best choice because it is expensive and there will probably be noise restrictions and or less privacy. All apartments have a good location by my college. Thanks for the feedback\advice. These are all single bedroom apts.

2. photoguy93

Since you seem to have a budget, I'd go with the most expensive one, because there's not a lot of "up in the air" concerns, like the second one without a lot of info. You could always check it out, but it's a bit bothersome.

Here's the thing - there's expensive and then there's frivolous. If this is a big apartment building, that safe, Secure, and nice, and you get everything included, what's bad with that? That's smart.....it just might cost a bit more.

3. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd say the first thing to do is fill in the info you don't know about. There should be some way to get in touch with the person or company renting these out. Ask questions.

You could also tour them to get an impression. You should at least see what you will be renting before signing any papers. (And papers are another consideration. For example, are you locked into a lease? If so, how long?)

One point to seriously consider about these places: how gay friendly/tolerant they are. Not an issue if you are in the closet, and plan to stay there. On the other hand, if you have or think you might have a boyfriend who'll be over a lot, that should be considered.

4. Just Jess

What BMC77 said. When I was apartment shopping recently I looked for a bunch of HRC (the equals sign) bumper stickers on the cars in the parking lot.

Just an aside, you sold the 2nd one to us the most. Is that the one you're leaning toward?

Ditto especially on you should probably visit all 3 of them in person instead of getting them site unseen. Also lease length, although 1 year is pretty standard everywhere.

5. Mrcake

I will have someone over for probably a week to visit. The apartments may or may not be gay friendly, but that shouldn't dictate if they give the apartment or not. I am not currently locked into a lease right now, so I could move if I wanted to. I will get in touch with someone on Tuesday or so about the other apartments, and tour them - they are 3 hours away, so it is inconvenient. In regards to the most expensive, it doesn't seem very private at all and $605 is a lot for me.. Considering I'm a full time college student and I will have a part time job - that is near impossible with a car payment $200 a month also.

---------- Post added 26th May 2013 at 01:01 AM ----------

I will hopefully tour them all, provided I can get to see them all the same day. Lease length is not shown on the site, but I'll be living there for at least 2 years so it shouldn't be a problem. The second one seems like the most economical option, and the most private - that is my biggest concern besides a shower and stuff.

6. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One thing you should also do is run ALL the numbers--rent, probable utitilies, etc. This seems obvious, it seems to get lost on many people. I'm looking at relocating at one point, and one person older than me had trouble comprehending my insistence of looking at the TOTAL cost, not just rent...

Sometimes an expensive apartment that includes everything could actually be cheaper than a econo budget model that includes nothing. Particularly if that econo place costs a fortune to heat in winter. Not that it ever gets cold where your profile says you live...

---------- Post added 25th May 2013 at 11:17 PM ----------

And when I talk about adding up costs, also include details like laundry. It may not seem like a lot a few quarter here and there...but they really add up. When I was banished to Laundromat Hell for a year, I found out just how painfully those quarters added up!

Admittedly, this is relatively small...but there is truth in being nickel and dimed to death.

7. Mrcake

Ah yeah, that is going to suck to have to pay for laundry...But that is going to be the choice I have to take. My parents are going to help pay for half my rent, but thats still $450 a month for me with car payment and no groceries\internet added onto that. I am a bit scared...bit excited..bit happy to be alone, finally and be uncloseted.

8. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Cost of Internet is also something to factor in. It's something I'll consider when I move again, because my current provider has limited coverage area. Their main competitor's cheapest deal runs twenty more a month for slower service.

One possibility for you since you'll be a student is not having Internet and just using free wi-fi or kiosks. But that is hugely inconvenient, and free wi-fi generally has security issues... But it's something to consider if you need to stretch the dollar so hard George Washington screams in pain.

One trick for cutting laundry costs is air drying. You can get racks at exotic shopping destinations like Target.

You can also get your own little apartment size washer and dryer that connect to a kitchen sink...but that's probably more of an investment than you like. Plus I've heard some places don't permit them. But if they are OK where you move, and you stumble across a really good deal at a yard sale...

9. photoguy93

I think it's good that you want to be out and about, just be really smart about all the extras and expensives of living on your own. You could live on the floor and not have any furniture and you could eat grass...but is that the life you want? I just am trying to say that quality of life is also an important thing to consider.

10. Mrcake

Wow BMC thank you for the advice! It is very helpful. Drying is a good idea, however Minnesota\Wisconsin weather can be very unpredictable at times. I need internet really bad for school and also as my primary form of entertainment. It will cost $30 a month for 6 months and shoot up to $50 afterwards; worth the price for 30mbps though.." if you need to stretch the dollar so hard George Washington screams in pain." That is a great saying, well done with your word play there :slight_smile:. I would try and buy my own unit maybe, but who knows if my apartment will even have room for it.. Here's to hoping!

11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You're welcome! I'm glad it's of use.

Drying racks can be used inside when weather is bad. It's a little iffy for me in winter, possibly due to a damp climate. Also the place I live has made a difference--some places have worked better.

One note: if you haven't had experience with air drying, clothes will be stiffer and more prone to wrinkles (particularly things like shirts) than from a dryer. This may or may not make a difference to you. Of course, it's not an either/or thing. At one point, I regularly had things that needed to look good, and I was too lazy to iron. So I dried those in the dryer, but other things on my wood rack. (Recently, I've found that hanging the wet shirt on a plastic hanger, and hanging off a rail--like in a shower--can work decently for casual wear.)

As for getting your own washer/dryer, you should wait until you have the apartment, and know if it's possible and OK with the rules of the place.

Also if you can do it, make sure whatever place you rent does have laundry facilities of some sort available. A trek to a laundry room is a lot less of a pain than driving across town to use a Laundromat. When I was condemned ot Laundromat Hell, I had about 20 mile round trip drive to get ot it...and that could be a huge pain sometimes.

12. Mrcake

I always want to look good, so I really need to use a dryer. I just want to live alone and be able to do whatever I want in privacy, really. I'll keep EC updated when I tour these places. Any other advice would be welcome, thanks.

13. julia

I would probably go with the second one, and definitely not the first. Privacy is a very good thing to have. The third one sounds amazing, but think of all the money you'll be saving... Let us know how you like the apartments when you go see them!

14. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    A few random thoughts...

One concern over the first one, if electricity is not included and it's baseboard electric heat you're not going to like the bills once winter comes around in Minnesota.
    Second location is either vaguely described to hide problems, or just poorly marketed. One more thing to consider, since you have car payments I suppose you need a parking spot as well, double-check if one is available, what kind and if there are extra costs associated. Will you need to shovel your car out before driving to work or school? Or drive around the block until you find an empty spot?

If you haven't done yet, it's a good idea to google streetview the locations and look around, does the area look like well taken care of properties or run-down? Pop the addresses in crimereports.com as well to see if there are issues with break-ins, violence, noise complaints, etc...

In your "extra expenses" you may want (it may actually be required to sign a lease, check your local state regulations etc) to consider "tenant insurance" for your belongings (computer etc) as well as liability (you leave faucet running, sink backs up and floods your and neighbor's units).

Finally one concern you mention is privacy - one thing to consider is if you only have one or two neighbors you may feel like someone's constantly listening, especially when you're having quality time with a special someone :wink:. There often is "anonymity in numbers"...

Being on your own for the first time is lots of fun, and a bit stressful at the same time - have fun with it and good luck.

15. Juggalo

I currently live on my own, so I can prolly give some help. (even though I'm struggling lol)

Electricity- I've been paying around 20-30 a month in the summer, and 40ish in the winter. Summer would be more expensive, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna use the air conditioner. It'd rock up the prices and it makes terrifying sounds and reminds me of "The Brave Little Toaster". Keeping apliances unplugged when not in use makes a huge difference. Not just off, but unplugged.

Internet- I'm stuck paying 100 or so a month for phone and web use. I occasionally don't pay it because I'm poor and stupid. Research internet thouroghly before purchase. I assume you are moving to a bigger city, but in WI there are huge swaths of areas that don't have broadband, and many areas cost a LOT.

Car- Garages do not normaly come with apartment usage, and in my experience average out at around 45 extra a month. Not only wil it keep your car safe from the elements, but it will deter thieves. Apartments are notorious for car break-ins.

Gay/Antigay- I've noticed when I'm over there, attitudes vary widely among age and town. Avoid the bars, WI bars are full of crazy people. Don't be suprised if they end up refering to you as "the gay guy" even if they are ok with you, at least in the smaller towns. I've been walking through random areas wearing clothes that are scrubbish at best, not even remotely fashionable, and I've had people call me a faggot. The small towns over there suck ass. I hear great things about the bigger cities though, but I've never been. I don't mean to harsh anyone in WI, these are just my experiences.

Privacy- is awesome. Ask for details about the second one, IMO. Square footage or crappiness doesn't compare to the feeling of being safe in your own home in a strange location.

Inventory- Upon lease signage, if they haven't made you do it yet, go through your entire unit and nitpick everything. If you don't have a documented list of prior damages (cracked panel on cabinet, chipped paint, nicked window, nail in wall, etc) they will devour your security deposit.

Laundry- Don't sweat it when it comes to sharing a laundry space. The vast majority of people do not want to rifle through your dirty clothes. The worst you should come across will be some jerk that leaves their underwear in all the machines for days, then wigs out when you place it nicely somewhere else. Don't be that guy.

Random things- Ask for bus line info if available, so you have a backup plan if your car breaks down. Find the nearest 24hour store. Be nice to your neighbors. Don't be all stompy. Putting something stupid yet friendly on your door will make neighbors less hateful of the new guy. Become best friends with the manager or maintenance crew and they will be super awesome if you goof something. Do not talk shit about the Packers ever ever ever; people will constantly jibe you about the Vikings, regardless of your interest in football. Learn to do bachelor things, like cooking hotdogs or ramen in your coffee machine. Twenty ounce bottles make amazingly cheap reusable cups. Lastly, showerbeer. A single beer in the shower is amazing after a bad day.

I realize that most of what I've written may be considered weird.

16. Mrcake

Electricity- I don't really want to pay for this because it can be expensive, hopefully I can get it built into my rent.

Internet- I found charter can be installed for $30 a month for 6 months and $50 after that.. should be doable. Won't be buying any cable or TV at the moment.

Car- My car will be able to be parked on the street. Plowing and maintenance is offered apparently in the second apartment space.

Gay/Antigay- Not sure, but the University has a club that I'll check out.

Privacy- I want my privacy! I make music and I want to be able to produce it without having to wear headphones all the time, and I also want to be able to have that special person over and not feel nervous about my neighbors listening in.

Inventory- Upon lease signage, if they haven't made you do it yet, go through your entire unit and nitpick everything. If you don't have a documented list of prior damages (cracked panel on cabinet, chipped paint, nicked window, nail in wall, etc) they will devour your security deposit. Good point, hopefully the place won't be too bad.

Laundry- Coin operated laundry, but nevertheless better than going to a Laundromat.
    Random things- Beer shower? Lol maybe if I was hungover and I needed to shake it off the next day or something haha.

17. Mrcake

Update: I have a tour schedule for the $460 a month apartment next Thursday. Still working on touring the other places, and probably won't tour the luxury apartments.

18. AAASAS

All I have to say is I wished I lived where you did. At those prices I'd be sharing a one bedroom with three other people.

19. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you haven’t already try using one of the dating websites we can’t mention here to chat to other gay guys in the area to determine if you’re chosen area is gay friendly or otherwise.

---------- Post added 29th May 2013 at 10:43 AM ----------

One other thought; I used to live in an all-inclusive and quite expensive “Business Apartment” when I worked in Belgium. The only thing that bugged me about it was I had no control over the hot water tank inside the apartment. It heated up overnight and that was it, enough for a shower in the morning and to do dishes in the evening but if I wanted 2 showers a day then I had to be very careful about hot water rationing. This would have been very awkward if I had friends staying over.

When you do move in take photos of any defects and get them signed and dated by the landlord.

Also have you checked if you are required to leave a deposit to cover damages etc. I know quite often it can be difficult to get the deposit back when you leave the apartment so half expect having to write that off when you budget.

Check also if the landlord has the right to make unannounced maintenance visits. I was having a lie-in one mid-week morning when I heard someone trying to get into my apartment, it was the window cleaner. Just imagine how embarrassing that could be if you were “entertaining” a guest.

20. Mrcake

There's probably a deposit.. There was little info on this apartment, so I have to be filled in when I tour it.