1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I get rid of Hypochondria?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ReyJ, May 27, 2013.

1. ReyJ

I have it really badly- in the past week alone I have managed to convince myself I have diabetes, a brain tumour , Coeliac disease and no tooth enamel. It has got to the point where I am spending the night awake and afraid that I have something very serious and it is stressing me out. Is there a way I can get rid of this without counselling? I have had enough of sleepless nights over diseases etc.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Accept that the rate of these conditions happening to you (especially all at once) is small enough to be completely negligible. Add on the idea that if you believe something strongly enough, you will see it even if it's not there, aka "the placebo effect", and you might be able to convince yourself that you're okay.

It's gotten to the point with me that I sort of have reverse hypochondria. I won't go to the doctor until something is severely messing up my life and I have no choice but to treat it. In short, "Until you see a doctor and get diagnosed with something, you're fine." And 99.9% of the time, that philosophy works.