1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My best friend is anorexic?!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by TheQuietTreader, May 27, 2013.

1. TheQuietTreader

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi EC. I'm not sure if this is the right forum (it's kind of a mix between general and health). I want to give a little background info for those who haven't seen my older posts (which is most of you). My friend and I have been friends for about 2 years. A little after Xmas break (January 7th) I came out to him. He was very accepting and stuff, which surprised me considering his conservative background. Then I started developing my largest crush ever on him right after I came out to him (and the crush hasn't subsided yet, I'm afraid!). In march I had the courage to tell him through a letter that I liked him (ironically, it was at a weekend long church event). He told me he didn't like me, he wasn't gay (though I could've swore based on what I could see). He didn't even apologize, which really ticked me off for a while and I didn't talk to him for about a week. Things got relatively normal again, except I was extremely jealous of him. The reason I liked him so much is because he seemed almost perfect to me. He is better than me in about everything (though I am going to beat him this year in cross country!).
    OK, now to the important part. Two days ago he told me he's been dealing with anorexia for the past month. He said even though its not diagnosed he's pretty sure because he lost 5 whole freakin' pounds in one week! Five! While that might not seem like a lot, he was already borderline underweight. He told me that about once a week he doesn't anything for an entire day. At that point I was really concerned and now I feel bad about being jealous of him. All my jealousy fled away at that moment. Which is a good thing. Because deep down I still like him I feel like crying ever since he told me. I don't know why he's making himself go through this. He told me that he's just going through a "thing." We'll why would you risk your body and possible other factors for a thing. He said its a psychological thing and I would t understand. That kind of ticked me off cause I want to know so maybe I can help him. Unless it actually is impossible to explain. I just want to know how to help him. I'm really worried for him and he's a really nice guy. I don't know what would be wrong with his life that he'd suddenly do this. Sorry of I seem really offensive to anorexic people it's just because I'm really upset right now. Any help? Thanks in advance.

2. evora

Hi! I really don't know what advice to give to you other than that it really is psychological and your friend is the only person who can do something about it. No one just decides one day that he/she will starve, in my experience it just happens.
    You shouldn't blame yourself for not being able to help. Maybe try making him see what it is that's really bothering him.
    Sorry, that's all I could think of right now.