1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I tell a friend that am gay?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Gazza123, May 29, 2013.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

So I find it hard to make friends at the best of times but managed to make a good friend. We chat at work and text each other outside of work. It feels like a proper friendship.

Now this friend is straight. I don't know if he knows I am gay just isn't bothered or whether he hasn't realised. I'm just wondering whether I should let him know. We arranging for him to come to mine at some point to play video games.

Is worth telling him? Like " I know your not but are you okay with gay people" something like that

2. Rexmond

It's best to make sure beforehand what his view on homosexuality is. Find out if he he's cool with it before even dropping any hints, just to be sure.

3. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

I drop him off home after work sometimes so I will just ask him then. I mean I could text him but I think that would be a bit weird, out of the blue

Or would texting be good idea

4. Pain

Pain Guest

I think it would be good of you. A good way to go about it is to just start talking about some guy you think is attractive, or a boyfriend (even if you made it up). Make it seem like, "Oh, you didn't know? Well, yup! Now, back to what I was saying..." Treating it like a small matter will make it seem nonchalant, whereas making it an announcement can elicit more of a dramatic response.
    It could go something like,
    You: "Oh, speaking of that movie, [actor's name] looked so good in it! Wow!"
    Him: "Wait, are you gay?"
    You: "Oh, yeah. I thought I had told you before... Anyway, what game do you wanna play? I have [various video games]."

Then again, I don't really know your friend. Thats how I'm imagining it though...

5. dapulu

I agree in finding out his view on homosexuality first.

6. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

I've actually told him

Via text since I don't see him for a while since he don't be back to work for a while and then when he is back... I'll be off

He's fine with it so YAY!!!

7. scruffy_guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great to hear! I'm always in favor of telling everyone you can. If they aren't okay with it then you don't really want to be friends with that person anyway.

Of course, there are exceptions and unique circumstances that can change this, but generally I think it holds true. Also, sometimes you may be the first gay person that this friend has ever known personally, and sometimes that is exactly the push they might need to get over whatever homophobic issues they might have.

8. dapulu

Congrats!!!!!!