1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depression or Laziness?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MerBear, May 29, 2013.

1. MerBear

Okay so for the past weeks....My life has been hectic and things haven't going so smoothly for me and so far, all i've wanted to is sleep...Like, I'm serious....all I want to do is sleep and Don't do any of my homework. At all. It's gotten pretty bad.

I've always liked to sleep but it's to the point where I stay in my room 95% of the time.
    I don't hang out with friends outside of school because I have social anxiety. I stay home all the time and I rarely get out...and I just am starting to give up with everything....I just want to sleep and daydream life away. It's so much better that way.

I can never tell if i'm lazy or just depressed.....Because I'm not a doctor and I know you can't give me a diagnosis but I was wondering.....Does it seem like I'm lazy or depressed?

2. Formality

I feel the same way. I used to be a great student back in 9th grade, but as soon as I 'went up a notch' in school and moved away from home and at the same time realizing I'm gay, things have been going downhill. I rarely feel good about something I've done, and I see no point in doing things because I feel like I'm not getting anywhere and I don't know where I want to get either. I see all the people around me and how serious they are about things. One of my friends started a company about a year ago and he's made A LOT of money on it. Some people are just so involved in things, and here I sit and feel like I'm doing nothing. I've been seriously depressed for like half a year now and spent more time alone, since I have a hard time feeling comfortable around people. Some of my friends I feel comfortable with, but whenever there are a lot of people I feel anxious and have no confidence. I think this has affected my schoolwork a lot and my motivation in general since I have no direction in life, and everything just feels so useless. And I don't really have anyone to talk to.

I guess I'd say it's because of the depression, because it really sucks the motivation out of you. I myself feel like I'm kinda 'stuck', if that makes any sense to you.

3. MerBear

Same here.
    It seems, Im stuck too.....its like...I just am going mad

4. Formality

I really feel like I need to find a direction to go in, find something I really want to do with my life, a goal, and really work towards it. Right now I only feel like I'm doing it for the grades and nothing else, and that just isn't enough for me.

Maybe it's the same for you. That you need to find something you really want to do, and work towards that goal... ?

5. MerBear

I know but I can't find anything, I really want to do and if it is something, I want to do...I lose interest

6. Formality

I also lose interest in what I do, but there's always gonna be something else you can do. Maybe you should try getting more involved in the things you want to do. I mean like really try it for a while and see if you like it. The first steps towards things are always the hardest. The fun doesn't really start until you see results I guess :s That's usually how I feel.

7. MerBear

Yeah but I am always too lazy ...to do....all i feel like is sleeping....
    It took me forever to get working on this packet that has 159 questions

8. Formality

It's like that at the start. At least some things for me. Like working out for example. I've always felt a dislike to working out, like I'm lazy or something. But the thing that keeps me doing it is the feeling I get afterwards. I feel like I accomplished something, and I feel better about myself. But I understand what you're saying about feeling lazy. In the end I think it's mostly because of depression, at least for me. Because of my depression I see no reason to do stuff and just want to lay in bed. But I've thought about it, and often when I'm laying bed all day and skipping school I just feel worse. I've noticed I often feel a lot better when going to school, and doing things. Might not be the best advice, but I'm not the best person to ask since I have the same problems myself. This is just some things I've noticed about the whole deal.

9. MerBear

yeah, I JUST....i dont want to do anything....I want to sleep right now...Im tired haha

10. MerBear

I would have never guessed i was depressed. I dont feel depressed.

11. BudderMC

Well, being depressed doesn't have to mean you feel sad.

On the contrary, I've probably been depressed on and off for a while now, but I never really feel sad. I'm either angry at the world or too indifferent to care about anything.

12. MerBear

I can never tell though, I can still smile and laugh...But when I get home...I just want to sleep like all day long...and I just don't want to do anything

13. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's not laziness, that's depression, though I suppose it's a lot easier to downplay your problems and chalk it up to a lack of motivation or choice. Which sounds worse, 'I have a serious problem that's stopping me from getting out of bed and complete homework' or, 'I'm lazy'?

First, you've noticed a drastic change in your life, and two, you say you feel stuck. One of the key traits of depression, besides lack of interest in life itself, is noticing a huge shift in routine. Being depressed, you probably take it in stride, but many people will also mention a lack of interest in things that used to bring them happiness before.

Now what caused it in you, I can't say for certain, but I will say that depression usually isn't permanent, even for those of us with imbalances. For me, the episodes last days or weeks, but eventually die down, and that's when I take advantage of my new found freedom and try to make up for loss time.

14. MerBear

I've been this way for a while it seems, the daydreaming and wanting to sleep all the time.

I've done that for good 2 years now or maybe a year ..
    I use to have an interest in track but I lost it as soon as I got to high school
    i BECAME intimidated and i justs didn't want to run anymore.

I want to do soccer and track again but I can't get myself to do

15. JPC

JPC Guest

This was me for a few months at the end of last year, and I've kind of been slipping into one of these phases again lately. I'm pretty sure it's depression, but like you, I don't really feel sad, I just feel like there's nothing in my life that interests me or that is worth doing so I just lock myself away for a while and do nothing at all.

16. MerBear

glad its not just me

17. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, just because it's been going on for a while doesn't make it healthy or normal for you. It's possible for a situation or environment to make you depressed more often than not, to the point it seems just another character trait. You seem to notice it's been going on for a set amount of time, and that it's interfered with at least one interest of yours, so I have to wonder if any of this involves sexuality?

18. MerBear

I mean, i questioned my sexuality for a year.....freaked out about it , My sister told me it was a phase and that i've always liked guys and so that added to the questioning then i slow into denial and Now im still in the questioning/denial part of it, it seems

but i dont know if that has to do with anything

19. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's definitely worth considering... denial, confusion, and unacceptance from family.. they can all make the coming out process even more difficult. Were you depressed before realizing same-sex feelings? What of during the time you were questioning? It was bittersweet for me.

20. MerBear

I dont know if i was depressed.....I only know what i felt during those times but I can't tell you if it was depression or not