1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone here have any major anxiety issues?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Amerigo, May 30, 2013.

1. Amerigo

Anyone diagnosed/being treated (be it medication or therapy) like me?

As well as being "sexually unsure/unstable" (if I can call it that), I deal with severe anxiety issues. Now I'm not saying I have it worse because of this, after all It's not a competition. I'm just wandering if there's a correlation between falling under the LGBT category and falling somewhere on the anxiety spectrum.

Of course, we all have different experiences being the people we are, so I don't expect everyone to have dealt with mental disorders of any degree. Some of you may be very happy and emotionally fit. Though, It'd be nice to know I'm not alone in this :slight_smile:.

2. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Ya I've had some pretty bad social anxiety over the years. I thought I had gotten over it for a time, but I feel like it's back now.

I was on anti-depressants to treat both anxiety and depression, but they never worked for me and only made me sick.

3. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't been diagnosed, but I certainly do have some major anxiety issues. Social and otherwise. In social situations I can barely speak for fear of being judged. It causes me so much stress that I just keep my mouth shut unless spoken to in which case I really quickly and quietly reply to whatever was said and then say very little. I'm a little bit better about speaking with my friends, but I'm still far from being a social butterfly... I used to have separation anxiety when I was younger, but I finally got over that. I also have extreme anxiety in stressful situations. I'm basically one of the most nervous people on the planet. I'm like a chihuahua. :lol:

4. FreeFlow9917

Yeah, back in 2009 i thought i was having a heart attack, and they gave me some medicine. Im on prozac since 2012 cant remembee first, i also have to take concerta in order to help me concentrate due to my add and aspergers

5. Amerigo

I feel like it's Social Anxiety Disorder with me also, it's only gotten worse too. So far the anti-depressants aren't quelling the anxiety, only mildly helping with the depression side of things. Though, I think I may be dealing with dysthymia rather than depression. Hopefully you'll find a treatment that works :slight_smile:

This is me exactly. Separation Anxiety and all (my parents passed me off as a shy child, then later as a moody teen, little did they know...). On the bright side chihuahua's are adorable little things. Thank you for the reassurance, good luck with getting through it all :slight_smile:.

:frowning2: Oh dear, I've never had a full on Panic Attack but have come close a few times. I'm glad you're trying to treating it :slight_smile:, I hear prozac is a popular choice.

6. justjade

I've had social anxiety almost all my life. I wasn't readily accepted growing up because I was always very gender non-conforming, and I think that's a huge part of it. I'm just used to being shunned. However, I am doing a lot better lately. I feel much better about myself and therefore the opinions of others affect me less. I still do have trouble with it, but I'm much happier and secure now.

7. Amerigo

I too, have been made the outcast (well, I feel like that anyway). Still I'm happy to hear that you're making improvements. It takes courage to take pride in one's own uniqueness (something I'm still working on). Good for you :slight_smile:.

8. Convoy

Yeah, I don't like admitting it but I've got quite an issue with anxiety. I don't know where it came from, I've been in some social situations and been quite happy and sociable, but things just always give me grief.

I've had too many panic attacks to count, things can just overwhelm me at times and I don't deal well with it.

I haven't been diagnosed, but I'm pretty sure I've got PTSD; at least some form of an anxiety condition that revolves around the trauma that I have experienced in the past; it seems to revolve around those kind of situations, along with the other symptoms that seem to align.

9. Tiny Catastrophe

Oh yeah I have major anxiety issues to the point it gives me stomach and intestinal issues. Apparently mine is genetic tho on my mom's side -_-.

10. Amerigo

I don't admit it much either, only to my GP and to some extent my parents. It's been a big part of my life, I feel my troubles concerning my sexual orientation have played a part also. There wasn't a specific event that set all this off for me, though there are certain situations I repeatedly find more anxiety inducing than others. Knowing what was a significant trigger is good in a way, since now there's the option of trying to deal with the trauma as you say. I hope you do get past it :slight_smile:.

Yep, it's viable that genes can play a part in stuff like this. With me I think it's a mix of both genetics and life experiences. My mum went through something similar to me, more so depression, but I can't seem to get out of it. Medicines aren't helping much. Good luck to you :slight_smile:.

11. newdown

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've been treated for severe anxiety before with medication and therapy. The medication (anti-depressants) helped get me through the worst of it, but the side effects were too bad to continue. The therapy was easily the biggest waste of time and money in my entire life. He didn't listen and had an agenda he wanted to push.

To your other point, I think struggling with your sexuality can make it worse. I have a long way to go on that point, but the anxiety has definitely improved since I started to deal with my sexuality.

12. Amerigo

I try to be optimitistic with my GP about therapy, but I know talking about it won't help. Heck I liked about my orientation and even said I was heterosexual. I don't think it will help, my reason for seeing my doctor and getting meds was to quell the panic symptoms, I don't think some "professional" can make a difference to my life, only I can. Best of luck on your journey :slight_smile:.

13. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I suffer from Panic Attacks :slight_smile:

14. Amerigo

:frowning2:

15. Shadowsettler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :roflmao: I'get really worked up in social situations for the most part! Um..

used to take several prescriptions for anxiety, and every one of them gave me unpleasant or undesired side effects. Now I just ''self-medicate'', and i've been doing okay.

Counciling is one thing I haven't been keeping up with. Probably one of the better treatment options.

#15 Shadowsettler, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013
  16. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have had the works.. From being a shy child, awkward teen, blushing if anyone even spoke to me, panic attacks , social phobia, to anxiety .. isolation and depression.

Periods of no meds and no therapy.. to periods of ( like now) on three meds at once, a therapist and a psychiatrist!!!

Can't make much sense of it.. But I think it does stem from being in the closet too long and my advice would be get past that as soon as you can!!! It should simplify your life.

17. leice

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I haven't being diagnosed by a doctor, but I get extremely nervous back when I was younger. I am quite self conscious in public and worries unnecessarily. I remember few years back when I compete I panic and failed to do anything. :frowning2:

Though, it's a lot better these days since going to college. Hope you will get better soon :slight_smile:

18. Incognito10

Major social anxiety
    Depression
    OCD
    GAD
    SAD

I am on meds, been in therapy in the past and currently just trying self meditation and relaxation.

19. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have major anxiety issues and it's ruining my life!! I've been on and off meds since I was 18, but I hate the side effects, so I've stopped taking them. I wish they had a cure for anxiety, even though I know that it's really an irrational fear. I simply cannot help feeling like I am going to pass out in certain social situations. I think my sexuality has a lot to do with my anxiety, even though I feel like being gay is common knowledge to those around me. However, I'm very girly, so people are very surprised when they find out. But whenever I am out and about, I feel like everyone knows that I like women. And even though I act like it's common knowledge, I know that it isn't. I sport my rainbow shoelaces, so I could care less, but yeah I'm weird.

#19 pinklov3ly, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013
  20. BornInTexas

Mild social anxiety, panic attacks, and I'm waiting to be diagnosed by my doctor for GAD. He thinks I have it; I'm pretty sure I have it.