1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me out :-(

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Typhoon, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't really know what to do. I have studying problems. I consume knowledge faster than any of my classmates which means I never have to try but it also means risking a lot, my entire future. There's something in my head which just won't let me study! I blame the possibility of having ADHD, maybe something else, and frankly I don't care what it is, I just stop caring and start doing other things which waste my time and I know it.

I get bored, listless and want to do things which are far more enjoyable and on the last day, usually the last few hours I finally pick up my notes and start brainstorming, relying on luck. I just can't keep on like this. It's a mental disorder that I cannot control. Next Tuesday I have an exam and I have never studied this subject at all. I had yesterday and today to maybe start something but I just couldn't. I wanted to, but my brain just said NO.:tears:

This is all really becoming too stressful. I planned on telling my parents after my exams end (I have 6 more) about this problem that I have, but I don't think I know how I can explain it to them. Especially my father, who won't understand.

2. FreeFlow9917

I have add, but i usually take medicine, but this is not your case. For me i was lucky that i dont have to study, but what you need to do is block out the world around you and think of ways to practice studying, maybe put in music, do whatever it takes to study and just focus, all you need to do is slow down a little, maybe do incriments of work per hour maybe 10 to 20 minutes of studying than just chill, i have the same problem when it comes to talking, just take it slow, concentrate, block the world and just focus on your task at hand. Trust me, i hate to study and i cant concentrate, all you need to do is breathe and like i said slow your mind down and focus.

3. KnownSecret

I was diagnosed with ADHD in 1st grade, it's a really difficult thing to get control over (some people can't figure it out and some people figure it out with ease). Finding the best way to study that's difficult I still haven't figured out the best way to study myself but I always at least try to get myself to do it no matter how hard i have to push! Maybe medicine would be the best option for you? You should really go find a counselor or therapist that has diagnosed others with ADHD, the hardest part of my journey with ADHD was trying to concentrate, and medicine did do its part for me for a long time, but the side affects as a child were not the best. Number 1 adderal stunted my growth and I stayed 49 inches tall and 49 pounds up until 5th grade. After 5th grade I stopped taking all of my medicine, which drastically made me grow close to a foot and a half in height lol. Number 2, I had horrible nightmares which as a child made it very difficult to sleep. And number 3, when I came off my medicine I would rage (Which raging is a one of the ways to diagnose a child with ADHD) If you don't want to take medications, I truly suggest seeing a therapist that specializes in ADHD, I went to an ADHD therapist for a long time when I was a kid and I truly believe it helped me learn how to get myself to do what I need to do and my therapist always had ways to help me out.

To finish: are you sure its ADHD? Is the subject your taking to easy for you and that's why you are getting bored? I always had those feelings when I went to school, because I never really liked learning things that came to simple to me (such as Pre-Algebra and such). I cannot say the best way to get you to study and to get energetic about school since everyone's study habits are different but I can say is that I have ADHD and I share a lot of the same habits such as never studying for tests and relying on my good test taking skills and a bit of luck to pass them. The hardest part with ADHD is the beginning part Attention deficit. If you learn to control that the hyperactive part is a breeze :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I wish you luck and I hope you go to a Therapist that specializes in ADHD so that you can get diagnosed with it if you have it and hopefully get the help that you need, even if you don't have ADHD there may be some help out there for you still!

EDIT: Oh and one thing to add that usually helped me do school work and study: As metalme9917 said try and break up your studying/homework sessions, as one of my teachers told me at school if your homework takes longer then 30 minutes take a break and come back to it you maybe struggling because you have been working to hard. Everyone's brain needs a break sometimes. I usually also would try to study not directly after school, go out and do something!! Get your mind off school for a bit so when you actually get back to it, it may be a walk in the park instead of all the stress. But as I said not all study methods work for everyone since everyone is different and everyone learns different! Also the music idea actually does sound great to get your mind off the world and into what you are doing, I used to listen to music all the time when I did homework and studied. Even some of my teachers let me listen to music in class because I was more chilled out and less bouncing off the walls hahahaha!

Good luck,

~Zack~

#3 KnownSecret, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  4. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have Law exams and I did well on the last two.
    But this one isn't exactly easy.

I just feel hopeless.

5. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I just can't block things from my mind. My parents fighting all day. Too much other noises as well. I just can't do it this time.

Well that's one exam don't the drain. My father just keeps making making it worse. And my mother is just as bad.

Seriously all you orphans out there, you don't know how lucky you are. Wish they dumped me in an orphanage when I was young, like they threatened to do when I was five. I never forgot.

#5 Typhoon, Jun 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  6. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Yah- Sometimes parents are really good with the mind F. Do you have a relative or friend you can stay with for a bit? Offer to do some chores or something in exchange. PTSD can cause severe concentration problems too that look just like ADHD. You should get evaluated. Look into a certified EMDR practitioner-therapist. Really helped me!
    Hugs - Rose

7. Hiems

You said that your house is noisy, so maybe finding another study area is a viable solution. Is there a library near your home or within your university? Or perhaps there are quiet study rooms in your university that you can make use of? Those are my go to places, as the other study areas in my university tend to be on the noisy side. I cannot concentrate if there are other noises around me >.<

8. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I really can't without causing too many questions.

I have very high myopia, so if i get caught driving I'll end up arrested (my vista -18.75) meaning that I depend on my father to get driven around. I can't take a bus because I don't like being in enclosed spaces with people.

I don't know what I'm going to do. I have no one who can help me at this stage, I'm on my own.

9. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Can I get evaluated online? How am I even supposed to tell my parents? And they wouldn't afford it and neither would they afford the medication :frowning2:

I just wanted to be a normal person, and now I'm going to flunk that test because I was not born like a normal person :tears: