1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick Question

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Zoe, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Zoe

Zoe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please excuse my naiveté, but I have a question.

In the LGBT community, is the term Lipstick Lesbian an insult? I know what it means, but I don't want to call myself or someone else that if it's actually insulting.

Thanks-
    Zoe

2. MerBear

I mean, People can use it in a insulting way.
    its just saying your feminine

I feel like if someone says that, that its pointless because regardless of whether your as people would say "butch" lesbian ....or "lipstick" lesbian.....

there is no one or the other....

a lesbian is a lesbian regardless of whether of they are feminine or more masculine.
    I think, its not insulting...I just think, its stupid

and creates more stereotypes

in the end. It shouldn't even matter but if someone wants to say they are a liptick lesbian or a butch lesbian then that's fine but personally, the whole thing is not necessary

#2 MerBear, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  3. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It all depends on the person, some people find the word Queer offensive & some people don't :slight_smile:

4. FruitFly

Generally, no. Many, many individuals proudly refer to themselves as lipstick lesbians, and some have gone on to form groups that actively try to erase the sometimes stubborn notion certain individuals have regarding the invalidity of lipstick lesbians.

People do use it in a derogatory fashion, but even so if you cast your eye around people refer to themselves as dykes, queers, and a variety of other terms which have perhaps a much more identifiable link to being used as insults than the term lipstick lesbian, yet people identify with those terms quite proudly. So I'd personally say that if it's a term you identify with, then use it with pride.

5. ReyJ

Pretty much this. If you feel it describes you well, then use it. But I wouldn't use it for someone else unless you know they wouldn't get offended by it, but to me it's harmless enough.

6. Zoe

Zoe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks you guys--this information is very helpful. As I take this first tentative steps into my new life, I appreciate having you all to turn to for answers to questions like this. :slight_smile:

And yes, I feel it does describe me. :slight_smile:

--Zoe