1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pronouns and school?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Zealix, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Zealix

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am 15, agender, and biologically female. Schools ending in a couple of days and I'm just so glad. This whole year teachers have been calling me a girl and it just makes me sick. It just completely ruins my day whenever a teacher called me a "girl" or a "lady". And i swear, some of them just put a huge emphasis on it just to bother me.

So since next years a clean new slate, I figured why not start fresh?

I normally stick with gender neutral pronouns (they/them/their) but at this point even male pronouns are fine. I feel like those pronouns would cause a lot of trouble anyway.

I was originally planning to email my new teachers about this before the school year starts but, the problem is my school doesn't let kids know their schedules until the 1st day of school. Our school's site usually doesn't update until a week after school starts.

It'd be really strange for me to be called a girl for the first week and then suddenly be a guy the next so I'll most likely have to tell my teachers in person. I honestly have no idea what i'm supposed to say to them though.

There's also the problem with the kids in my classes. I'm in a science program which means I'll most likely have classes with the same kids from last year, not to mention the fact that i've knew some of them since elementary school.

I've always been pretty guyish so I guess it wouldn't be too bad, but i just know i'm gonna be teased and laughed at.

Any advice?

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Where are you? Some jurisdictions have laws, or at least some guidelines, about respecting a student's gender identity and all the stuff that goes with that. Are you able to speak to a teacher about this?

3. Zealix

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I live in the U.S. (NY) and I guess I could speak to a teacher about it. I'm just not sure what to say.

4. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just say that you don´t want to be called girl or lady ever. They can use your name. You don´t really need to explain why.
    Give the teacher "the look" when s/he makes the mistake of using girl or lady.