1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christianity and Homosexuality

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MerBear, Jun 2, 2013.

1. MerBear

Okay so I want to find an article on the debate about homosexuality in the bible....because my friend Alex was becoming more accepting of me liking girls. she was finally listening to me, laughing at my jokes and becoming more open with the of who i was but one day she found something in her "teen" bible saying they can love gay people but they can't accept their 'lifestyle' and so she was confused by that and she asked one of her friends "Amber" ....if she had to believe everything to in the bible because found that question about homosexuality and so amber said

In order to be a "true" christian, she had to believe everything in the bible...and that they aren't suppose to accept the gay lifestyle because god forbids it because it's an evil act

and I looked at Alex and she looked like she was force with a decision. like amber said in order to be that "true" christian that she had to believe everything in the bible.

and I got upset because ....Alex, I knew she didn't want to believe that. she started to not understand how homosexuality was a 'sin' but since amber said that...she felt like if she didn't believe that then she wasn't a true christian....and i just am kind of upset because I know that's not true.

and I want to show Alex an article on the debate about it to see it from whole another prospective ..because The people she asks about the bible are people who are against homosexuality....and she hasn't gotten to see people stories and hasn't seen these articles that show you can still be a christian even if you accept homosexuality

I'm not trying to change her views or whatever. At least not how amber did. badgering her to a degree. I'm trying to see it from someone else's prospective. ya know?

so does anyone have any good articles, I could show...
    I'm so sorry, if there if a thread on this ...I can't find any though

2. Connor22

Well also in order to be a "true" christian, at least going by ol beardy face himself, you would have to never get angry, never be attracted to someone, never have money or have any office of power and well, my point is there's no such thing as a true christian, not even the pope himself but that's not the point, it's not that christians are meant to be either "true" christians or perfect or anytinhg like that by any measure, the whole point is that no one is good enough to consider themselves a "true" christian in the same way that Jesus was, it simply is physically impossible. Instead christians are supposed to be the ones that realise that for one reason or another they ARENT perfect but through Jesus they are made perfect in the eyes of god. Not to say that they are perfect here on earth but rather that they accept their flaws and try to deal with them. That would probably be a good starting point.
    Also there is this video that any second now is gonna be posted about a million times but that doesn't really matter, it is a very good video of a guy presenting a very good and biblically sound case for Gay people being a-ok (as they should be) by the bible.
    [YOUTUBE]4OiDrbipW34[/YOUTUBE]

3. MerBear

Thank you. I'll show her that video and Your right.
    I want her to see it from another prospective. Preferably one that has more knowledge with their statement

I think, there is really no "True" christian but rather someone who follows their fath and believe in god. ya know?

If anyone has any other's. I'd appreciate it.

4. Fiddledeedee

Yeouch. I know what that's like. Here's a few links for you to look at.

Our very own Aldrick talking about the Bible and homosexuality. This is a long post, which he's done a few times in different versions, detailing why the "clobber verses" used to condemn homosexuality don't actually say that gay relationships are wrong. It might be useful here because it also brings up the core of Christianity, showing that you can be a Christian and be fine with homosexuals.

Carciofus of TV Tropes has a post on the subject too. He doesn't go into technical definitions of the words to try and argue that they do not mean homosexual acts are bad; instead, he takes them at face value but then explains why even the New Testament ones do not need to be accepted by Christians, and Paul himself would be okay with folks disagreeing with his writings.

Someone's going to mention the well-known talk by Matthew Vines. Like Aldrick, his argument rests on the idea that homosexual acts are not condemned, and he examines the basics of some of the original words. It also speaks of the role of gay Christians within the church.

This one is circulated as a video of a lecture, but that link includes the full transcript. It's also the longest of these three main articles.

(EDIT: Yup, Connor shared it as I was writing this!)

[url="http://www.christianity-revealed.com/cr/files/whensamesexmarriagewasachristianrite.html]For interest's sake, this is a description of historical Christian same-sex marriage rites.[/url] A slightly different topic, but it shows that there have been times when homosexuality was accepted and relationships between two men could have a valid ceremony. Few will say that people from the times this went on were not true Christians.

Finally, think a little bit. Christians can be Christians as good and true as any Christians whilst not accepting parts of the Bible. Although I'm now an atheist and don't much care for Christianity, that is what I knew when I was still religious.

An example of this is that there are passages even in the New Testament which condone slavery/give instructions on slave treatment, but in our modern culture, we know that slavery is awful and its inclusion in the Bible is only because of the views of society at that time; we do not now consider slavery okay. The same thing can happen with Bible passages that condemn homosexuality. It doesn't mean that you don't consider the Bible the word of your god, it just means that you are using the compassion you believe God gave you.

5. MerBear

Yeah, I mean...if she thinks homosexuality is a choice and that she doesn't accept it then that's fine but the fact that she was told she's not a true christian if she doesn't believe everything in the bible ...is absurd to me because I know, that's not true.

6. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Now there's a Oxymoron :slight_smile:

7. MerBear

I apologize but what does that mean? haha

8. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When two things contradict themselves, like Accidentally on Purpose, agree to disagree, genuine imitation :slight_smile:

9. MerBear

Oh. sorry. I am slow at times.

10. I am a Christian and I am a lesbian. I am getting away from the term Christian though because of negative connotations.

I used to struggle to support my family and friends who are homosexual because of what I was taught in church, but not anymore. So much of what is taught in church simply isn't true. I do not think homosexuality is a sin. I am reading a book that debates the historical interpretation of the Bible vs the literal interpretation. The verses people use to condemn us are taken out of context.

Sadly, a majority of those who are in church are mislead with faulty doctrine and teachings based on fear of burning in hell. The God I know is a loving God.

Instead of debating theology with people, this is what I say.

1. Romans 3:23 says that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. So, even if you believe that homosexuality is a sin, we are all sinners.

2. Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ our Lord. Sin used to condemn everyone, but Jesus changed that.
    (I do not believe that you have to say a magic prayer to get into heaven, but I when talking to people who condemn homosexuality, I mention this verse to put the other person on the same level as everyone else in this world)

3. John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his only son that whosoever believes in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life.

4. All have sinned. Because of sin, we all have faced death. Jesus came to give ANY ONE who believes in him everlasting life.

5. John 3:17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but that through Him we might be saved.

6. The son of God was not sent here to condemn. Why do you feel like you have the right?

Sorry so long. This is just something I am passionate about. I find that by the time I am at 6, people end the conversation. I like to keep the conversation calm and respectful. My goal is to help people see that they are living out false teachings. I was studying to be a pastor and used to be a worship leader.

I was run out of my church when I stopped hiding the fact that I support gay marriage. They don't know that I am a lesbian.

I hope that your friend prays about it and learns the true nature of God.

11. MerBear

I hope so too even though im atheist but If i was christian, I would know better then to judge other from one line in a book and more importantly myself for that matter.

12. Ticklish Fish

If there's a case for true Christian, I don't see how roman catholics, protestant, Presbyterian, etc, etc. having a full on war already :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

WHICH OF THEM ARE TRUE ANYWAYZ

13. MerBear

hahaha yeah

14. Well, there are several verses that people quote to condemn homosexuality, but they are taken out of context. I hate it when people use the Bible as a weapon.

I can suggest a few books for your friend, if you think she will read them.

15. MerBear

she may not but I would still be interested if you could still suggest them to me.

16. I think the best book is Love Wins by Rob Bell. It doesn't address sexuality much, but it does talk about the faith as a whole and the tendency to condemn. It is easy reading and not too heavy on the theology.

17. ArlisSneakers

I wish you all the best with you and your relationships. I'll remember to pray for you.

Show Alex this clip. It's from one of the best shows ever.
    My dad, my sister, and I had a conversation about who he would make more money on in selling into slavery. It came out a bit of a tie. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1-ip47WYWc

18. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can be christian, despite what others tell you. Don't let other homophobic christians mess with you. One goes to church for God, not for the other people.