1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a job in 3 days?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MerBear, Jun 4, 2013.

1. MerBear

is that even possible? because My dad said that if i don't get a job in 3 days, he is sending me to see my sister for the summer and i absolutely loathe her.

If i apply online, i'll have to wait for a response and Then i will have to go to an interview but the thing is....can that be arranged in 3 days. I think not. I mean, maybe it is possible but I highly doubt it considering, it took my friends awhile to get a job. it took them 2 weeks to get an interview.

so is it possible?

I would be applying for like dominoes, a fast food restaurant or something. not anything big considering i am only 17

2. Goodnyte

Do you have a temp agency nearby? That is what some of the friends I have in high school do. They go to our local temp agency and they get a job if something is available. THey generally have simple jobs available to teens to do. Ex. fast food, department store, grocery store, etc. Simple, easy, effective.

3. MerBear

temp agency? i've never heard of it.
    but is it even possible to apply for a job and get one in 3 days?

4. Goodnyte

Temp agencies are places that have a whole bunch of jobs available. Temporary jobs. Like summer jobs or a few week long jobs. They are life savers at times. They even get you an interview and the job quickly. It is possible. I have seen it happen.

5. MerBear

i dont know where to find one. I have to get one for the summer

6. Goodnyte

Just go to google and look up Temp agencies in ......, NC
    Here is a link since I already know the city you are in:
    Temporary Employment Agencies in Charlotte, NC on Yahoo! Local
    I still suggest googling though.

7. MerBear

Thank you so much

8. FruitFly

Sometimes if you actively go out, into the shops and be a bit cocky about looking for a job you can. However opportunities to do that are dwindling, and I think you'd have to cover a lot of ground in order to find a business receptive to going through the process in 3 days.

Generally I think 3 days is not a long enough time frame, is he dead set on the 3 day limit?

9. MerBear

pretty much. he believes i can get a job in 3 days apparently so whatever

10. Goodnyte

11. MerBear

yep. anyone others input would be greatly appreciated

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let's put it this way...

If you are out, 8 hours a day, looking for and applying for jobs, then you have a pretty good job of someone showing interest in hiring you, interviewing you, etc. If you stay at home and complain about not being able to get a job in 3 days, you definitely won't.

My guess is, if your dad sees that you are really busting ass, and making progress, he'll be a little more flexible. But you aren't going to get a job by filling out online applications and sitting and waiting. Fill out the app, then go and visit each store where you filled one out, ask for a manager, tell them you are very interested, and ask what you can do to be considered. Call to follow up (but not so much as to be a pest.) The people that get hired are usually the ones who are persistent, who show they really want the job, and who exhibit the sort of self-starter attitude of someone the employer would like to have working for them.

13. squally89

Can you mow your neighbors lawn for money and count that as a job?

14. MerBear

well im doing exams right now. so how can i possibly be "active" and going out?

15. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hmmm. Well, it's definitely harder, but you can still actively look when you aren't studying and taking exams. There are lots of people who have 20 or 30 hour a week jobs in addition to going to school full time... it just requires discipline, structure, and good time management. And there are plenty of others who will find every excuse in the book to avoid actually finding a job. It's really all about one's mindset.

16. MerBear

Yes. But I need to study so i can't get 8 hours of driving around.
    I don't have my license and my dad has to work.

I can look after school is over but he's talking about now.....like in 2 days....
    there is no way, i can get a job in 2 days....while "actively" looking because i have to study and finish up my junior year.

I can do it AFTER but not now.

You see and also....they have to review my application and ask me to come in for an interview. It takes a while to get a job.

I'm not getting a full time job, i am getting a part time job at a grocery store.
    Im not "avoiding" a job if that's what your thinking.
    I'm making sure, I pass my junior year because if i don't. I'll have to double up.

He way of thinking is completely irrational from my standpoint ...primarily because he knows that I have to study for my exams and that i have to make sure, I pass my junior year. He knows that ...he pressured me to study, and do all this other stuff to please him and at the same time, find a job in 3 days.

Understand this. Please, for my sake....look at it from my perspective.
    I'm not superman. I am a 17 year old girl, trying my best to get out of high school...and live off of what i got. I can get a job. I am full aware of that but you and I both know, It's going to take more than 3 days ...no 2 days to do that.

17. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why he decided to do this DURING the week is beyond me. But anyway. I'd go ahead and apply to at least five (but probably ten) places every evening after school. Then keep your father abreast of your progress. "I applied to these places. This one doesn't look very promising, but this other one seemed to like my application. We'll see what happens." And if your father finds that insufficient...well, then, he finds it insufficient.

Lex

18. MerBear

well, I know exactly why is he doing it.

He is doing it so I can see my sister for the summer. He knows I loathe my sister ...and he knows, I dont want to be and he knows i won't be able to get a job in 3 days so he can make sure, I stay down there for the summer.

My sister and I have never had a good relationship and she keeps trying have a relationship with me of some sort and I want her to leave me alone and move on with her own life and He doesn't want that for us but he needs to accept that because Not every sister is going to have this wonderful relationship with their sister.

He always wants everything perfect and in line but life isn't perfect and neither am I which is why he should give me more time because im not superman. I'm doing the best with what i got.