1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I go to church camp?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by vhrebels, Jun 4, 2013.

1. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

Hey. So, next month I have some church camp thing coming up. I wasn't really planning on going, but apparently they are going to Six Flags, which makes me really want to go. The only problem is it's a southern baptist thing, and they always preach against sexual immorality, which for some reason makes me feel bad about being gay. Last time I went, it felt like it made me not accept myself at all and I felt like I needed to repent for my attractions, which I realized later that God loves me for who I am. But, I'm worried that if I go, I will not accept myself and it would push me even deeper into the closet. So, should I go? And if I should, how can I not feel bad about my sexuality? I swear, for some reason every time I go to a church event, I feel like I'm going straight to hell if I don't repent. So, how can I not feel like I'm going to hell for being gay?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like the church event will be a big test of your faith in what God actually wants from you.

I hope for your sake that you don't feel dirty for being gay, as in my (independently theist) eyes, it isn't sinful and is as beautiful as a straight relationship. It will take a lot of willpower to be in that hostile environment, though, so I hope Six Flags makes up for it. :slight_smile:

God loves you not despite your gayness, but because of it.

3. ganley

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Totally agree, if God had a problem with Gay people he wouldn't have made us this way! Also there is only one person who is allowed to judge others & it is not the people you go to church with! Remind them only God has the right to judge other people!! I also believe the commandment is "love thy neibourne" not "love their neibourne as long as they aren't Gay!" Have faith, or think about whether or not you want to spend time with people who don't live God's word.

4. photoguy93

I wouldn't go. I'm not saying you shouldn't do church things, BUT, how fun will it be if you're going to have to worry about being accepted?
    If you're really wanting to go to Six Flags, why not go with friends?

I think spirituality is important....just don't put yourself in harms way!

5. ArlisSneakers

You're not going to hell. I'm Baptist (not southern Baptist), and everyone at my church is very accommodating. Not that they know.
    You shouldn't do something that makes you too uncomfortable. Decide whether or not it'll be worth it. And ignore anything anyone says about Leviticus, because that's way out of context. God created all things; and that includes us, the way we are. My advice is focus on your personal relationship with God, rather than what your Church members think of sexuality.

I hope this helped. Stay true :slight_smile:

-Arli

6. biggayguy

When I finally accepted my sexuality it caused a crises of faith. That led me to become Catholic. Even though the catechism says homosexual 'acts' are intrinsically evil; it doesn't automatically condemn you to hell for same sex attraction. My former church said homosexual = Go to Hell, Do not collect eternal life. That wasn't really your question was it? If the fun you will have outweighs the guilt and pressure you might feel then go. If not then find another group to go with

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm. That still suggests to me that God loves gays despite their being disgusting sodomites, and only if they take the steps to repent for their sins. I know there have got to be sects of Christianity that feel the Bible has been misinterpreted, and homosexuality in the modern era is completely acceptable.

I just have a hard time believing the best we can get is "Nobody's perfect."

8. biggayguy

Yes, there are Christian denominations that welcome everyone i.e.. United Church of Christ, MCC, some Episcopal churches and American Baptist to name a few. I believe the "clobber" passages in the bible were written for a specific time to a specific group of people.

9. lostman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I attend a church which is homophobic. I will never come out to anyone of them as I know they will not be able to accept it... they crack all kinds of jokes about gay people. However .. these guys had been true friends who stuck by my through thick and thin ... this is the first church I attend since I accepted Christ. I know that their hearts are true ...

As for me ... I decided that as long as I can accept myself for who I am .... Christ died for me .. He saw all of me .. the good and the bad .. He still went ahead and died for me. As long as Christ and I can accept myself .. it does not matter if my pastor or my fellow brothers or sisters can accept me as gay Christian man.

I have attended church camps and church mission trips .. and it was the most wonderful experiences that I ever had. Just be discrete when you check out guys :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. photoguy93

Just curious about this - and please, do not take this as an attack... but why should YOU be the one who has to hide who you are? I've just always been curious about that aspect. Again, not attacking you...just trying to see what your thoughts are, as someone who has taken the other route.

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In my opinion, what they do is emotional abuse, and I think for your health, you should not be going.

In sisterhood,

Adrian.

12. That is a tough question. You will hear things against any sex that isn't between a married man and woman. If you feel you can do that and still maintain your peace of mind, then by all means, have fun.

My faith in God is strong, but I know that I am not at the point where I can go hear a sermon against who I am. I am working on my anger towards some of the misguided teachings I have heard my entire life.

You have to decide what is good for you.

13. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm going to church camp this year, and it's actually the highlight of my Summer. I think you should go if you think you can control your emotions.

14. Beachboi92

I would't go purely because I don't think it is good for anyone to put themselves in a position like that where you will be made to feel bad about yourself and who you are. Six Flags isn't worth it for that imo.

15. castle walls

My thoughts exactly. If going to these events make you feel that bad about your sexuality then maybe you should skip them. You can always go to 6 Flags with a group of friends later

16. Ticklish Fish

if you just want to go to six flags.. THERE ARE OTHER WAYS :slight_smile: