1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How close are you allowed to get to a teacher?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Shizune, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Shizune

As the title says. How close are you allowed to get to a teacher?

Last year just before christmas, one of my teachers found me crying in the corridor. She unlocked the door to the school nurse's waiting room. She said.

"Just sit down here and wait, I will go looking for your mentor, the school sister or the school psychologist."

Luckily she didn't find any of them. So she gave me a glass of water and some napkins. I think it took more than fourty minutes for me to say anything. But when I finally got it out, she just listned and asked some questions, didn't critisize me or anything like that. I'm not sure how much she understood of what I said, the words stumbled on eachother. But felt great to just get it out.

So after that I have talked to her about some "problems" I have. That I have been to afraid to talk about with someone else.

I have never really had someone I'm comfortable talking with. A few weeks ago she said that she felt bad because she didn't have enough knowledge about my problems so she couldn't really help me as much as she wanted to. She said I needed to visit the school psychologist.

I do have some trusting issuses, so the first time I like tested him by asking some questions. After that I visited him one more time. This time I talked to him about one of my problems, because my teacher had encouraged me and talked to him about one problem, that I thought was okay talking about. So after the to times I have meet him, my conclusion is I don't trust hime nor feel comfortable with him.

But back to the main question. How close are you allowed to get to a teacher? Sometimes when I have talked to her I haven't said bye nor thank you, because I don't know how close you are to get to a teacher. I have also sometimes ignored her and I never look into her eyes when I talk to her. But she still is kind to me, ask me questions, likes to start conversations with me and when I'm feeling down she tries to make me happy, by telling jokes, talk about fun things etc.

Yesterday when we had a small workshop (playing environmental games on the computer). She sat down beside me, in the back of the classroom and talked to for nearly the whole lesson. At the end of the day, she asked how my day had been and she asked some other questions. I didn't even say bye, because I'm not sure how allowed you are to get to a teacher and I do feel pretty rude.

2. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on the general rules regarding teacher-student interaction, and what both of you are comfortable with. I know that you're not supposed to have a relationship with teachers, but there's nothing wrong with talking to them - or saying hello and goodbye to them. When I was in HS, I used to sometimes give my biology teacher a massage. She was quite approachable though and she asked the class if someone knows how to give a good neck and shoulder massage, and I was one of the few who'd do this. My typing teacher and I were also quite close. She'd often chat with me about everyday things and asked me to assist the students who were struggling with certain things on the computers - even got to supervise a couple of times during exams! So it really depends on what the teacher is comfortable with and the general rules and boundaries

And as far as your distrust of your psychologist is concerned: It's not at all that uncommon. If you feel you cannot connect to someone, or feel uncomfortable talking to them about personal issues and struggles then it's best to look for someone else. Hope you'll feel better soon (*hug*)

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In general, most schools don't have a problem with a teacher mentoring or spending extra time with a student who has troubles. If that's all you're talking about, I don't think there's any problem.

4. Figureskater

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In our school, you're allowed to be as close to a teacher as you want (just no sexual behaviours of course). Hell! Some of my teachers are great friends! (I'm not saying that because I'm the one who feels that, they have said it and I feel the same way)
    Most of my female teachers are great friends with me, but male teachers are a bit put off being my friend because I'm bisexual, and they feel that I'd make a move on them... I'm still friends with a few male teachers who're my friends' dads, because we pull pranks on them :slight_smile: it's so much fun aha

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This. Nobody says teachers have to stay at arms' length. As long as there's no shenanigans going on, you can have a very close relationship.

6. tryhtwfr

I have 2 English teachers I love to bits! I remember when I was getting picked on in PE by the teachers, they would do all sort of things to get me in trouble. One day I was excluded from the lesson and had to sit upstairs somewhere on my own for 2 hours doing work, I wrote in the back of my English book about how I hated PE, my opinion on the teachers (I also mentioned how they think they're sexy and fit and that) and included swearing. Also, me not knowning I left it in my book, I handed it in and my English teacher found out. Next day, she goes great homework but I feel like as a teacher I have to tell the Head of Year, I was so embarrassed. The deputy head confronted me, the head of PE was probably laughing at me. I told my English Teacher I hated her and stuff, she goes she wanted what's best for me. A year later, me and both my English teachers are open to each other, we talk about our problems - they suspect I'm gay I know it but don't want to pressure me. They both have told me their lesbians, talk about their realationships with me, I can swear infront of them. Sometimes, I even go into the staff room briefly to give them stuff they have let me borrowed. I also remember one time we all met in starbucks and had a bitch about the teachers. They are so amazing and I love lesbians so :slight_smile: