1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I know this is diagnosis but...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Typhoon, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    EDIT: Title was meant to be ''I know this is not 100% reliable diagnosis'' but I got distracted.

I don't believe much in online tests but anyway, I scored 44 in this, being 100% honest to every question asked.

Should I tell my parents (after my exams, preferably after I get results)? I really want to be normal, but I feel that things are just so hard for me now. I can't freaking concentrate on my work!! :frowning2: I can't keep on living like this, I don't want to be treated like someone who's fragile in the head, but this is causing too much stress on me. How the heck I managed to get in University, all the way up to the second year of a law course without any help is one hell of a mystery for me, but it psychologically hurt me.

I can't consult my counselor at this moment in time, so I am left with you.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    An online test for what, exactly? And depending on what you mean by "normal", it's debatable that you'd want that anyway.

3. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
  4. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I did the test. I am a totally "normal, relaxed person" and came up with 28, moderate.
    It´s bullshit.

Most people have trouble concentrating expecially when the work is not particulary interesting or fun.
    Another workplace might be more useful than giving yourself some disorder based on a test. Especially when it comes to concentration problems.

Is the stress caused by the fact that you think you have a disorder, or are you stressed by something else and therefor you can´t concentrate... Stress is not good.
    What is the cause of your stress?

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For what it's worth, ADD/ADHD is one of the most overdiagnosed mental conditions there is. Teachers push parents to get their kids tested for it, and send them to psychiatrists who they know will be likely to find it... so the kid can be medicated and numbed and the teacher will have to do less work.

While it's possible you have ADHD, I think you would be much better off, if you're genuinely concerned, to see a psychologist (NOT a psychiatrist) and discuss what's going on over a few sessions, and make a determination then. In most cases, the patterns and behaviors that go along with ADHD do not require medication, but can be addressed through therapy and specific focusing techniques. You'll be a lot better off that way than getting a prescription for Ritalin or some other ADHD drug.

6. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's quite the claim Chip, I'd not expect that from you. ADHD medication doesn't make you a zombie, I don't know what teachers you're talking about but unless they're sponsored by the pharmaceutical companies I highly doubt they're trying to get your kids on meds.

Contrary to popular belief psychiatrists are against turning you into a zombie and teachers (good ones) bust their ass for kids that don't want to be their in the first place.

As for the OP I wouldn't worry about it since diagnosis over the internet usually leads to far worse outcomes than are really there. Leave diagnosing to the professionals, your job is to tell them a list of your symptoms so they can put the puzzle together since they've spent 12+ years figuring out how to do it better than you and Google can.

#6 Fugs, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  7. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family

I don't know what causes me stress. Noises piss the living hell out of me, so you can imagine what it's like living in a house with two parents constantly fighting. I get distracted so easily (I'm supposed to be studying for an exam in three days, I can't. Fucking. Focus :help:, I did zero work today.), I can never start studying a subject except on the eve of the exam and I usually get lucky if I manage to learn something two or three days before. I can never focus on anything. I fidget a lot, even without my knowing sometimes until I realize I've been vibrating for the past half hour. When people speak to me I can't listen even if I want to. I also act or speak without thinking or procrastinate so much.

I don't know what to say anymore.
    And I probably won't be able to afford a therapist.

8. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There you are!
    You don´t have a steady home and that´s enough for anyone to get out of knack, believe me.
    You need help and support, and a quiet place for yourself.

Can you study at a friends place or at a public library?

#8 Boyfriend, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  9. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I cannot :frowning2:

10. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LOT of data to support that. I initially thought the problem was limited to the US, but apparently there's a similar problem in the UK (Martin and I discussed it sometime back) and to a lesser extent in other countries as well.

While certainly not all teachers are trying to drug all their students, it is definitely true that many teachers, particularly younger ones, are less tolerant of what used to be described as the normal energy children (particularly boys) seem to have, and even many school systems have, systemwide, implemented policies actively encouraging medication for any children that are "active" in class. While ADHD meds may not make a child a zombie, they certainly have a strong effect, and many children on them rebel against how it makes them feel; some kids report lethargy, some kids report improved focus, but at the cost of creativity, and some kids report other side effects. The overmedication of children with ADHD meds is something that is actually not debated by much of anyone other than the pharmaceutical companies, who, of course, love the idea.

That depends entirely on the psychiatrist. The good ones realize that medications should be used minimally and judicially. Unfortunately, there are plenty of really terrible ones. And there's an old saying, "When you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail." You go to a surgeon for a consult, most likely, s/he is going to recommend surgery. You go to a psychiatrist to discuss a concern, most likely s/he is going to recommend mediction. It's their training, what they do day in and day out, and so it's the go-to recommendation... at least for many of them.

I completely agree with the above statement, *provided* that the diagnosis is done first by a psychologist or clinical social worker and not a psychiatrist, for the reasons stated above.

11. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Go to park, a coffeehouse, diner, anywhere where the vibe is better.
    Get out of the door and find a quiet corner....

Try, you really have to find a better place to study.

(*hug*)

12. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Also studying even in empty unused classrooms, literally ''silent as the grave'', I just get distracted too. No work done at all. I'm just losing it completely now :tears:

13. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You get no work done, because there are a lot of things going on in your life. I´m not sure if complete silence works as good as some background noice.

What you could try is tell yourself that you need to do just 1 thing. It´s usually the starting that is most difficult.
    So if you tell yourself that you just do one thing, and you could choose the easiest even, you take away the stress of having to do it all and at least you get started.
    And you can just leave it at that and pick up a bit later and do just one thing again....but you can also keep going if you feel like it.

You can take a long break in between things too.
    It´s always better to do something than nothing.

Is it possible to get a massage?

Isn´t there a mentor that you can talk to?

Hang in there buddy.(*hug*)

14. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    None of the things you mentioned are possible for me. :frowning2:

15. KnownSecret

You should really try and find a ADHD therapist/counselor, to diagnose you with ADHD, that test there wont prove that you have ADHD at all. ADHD is a really difficult thing to diagnose and is often diagnosed wrong. Many things are similar to ADHD but are not ADHD such as bipolar disorder (which many of the same symptoms for ADHD are shown with bipolar disorder.)

On the Test I scored a 46
    Inattention Subscale: 24
    Hyperactivity/Impulsivity Subscale: 22

I probably scored like that because I have pretty bad ADHD hahaha, and I do a lot of the stuff (pretty much all of it) mentioned above, but when I was a kid I went to a ADHD counselor/therapist that diagnosed me with ADHD and also helped me try to control it better, if you need help with how you feel might as well talk to an expert :wink:

#15 KnownSecret, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  16. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't think I can afford one.

17. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Duwayne,

Every suggestion someone offers to try and help you, you come up with a reason why it can't work. Are you genuinely interested in solving your problem, or more interested in looking for ways why you can't?

There are options in every city for free or low-cost therapy. There are books and practices designed to teach you focusing techniques. But none of that will work if you simply convince yourself that no one has any advice that can help.

18. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It´s easier to blame it to a disorder. Then it´s out of your hands.
    When you are feeling down, it is hard to take action.
    But Chip is right you know, where there is a will there is a way. You have to start somewhere, even if it is the smallest step.

Even people with a disorder manage to study if they want it. I don´t believe you have a disorder, especially not based on a test on internet and knowing you came this far when it comes to studying, but even if you had one, there are ways to work around it.

You are just giving up. Don´t, please! You will feel so good about yourself if you get through this and get your degree.

19. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family

If I was interested in solving the problem I would not have posted in here. Some of the replies I just read just made me shake my head. None of you know what it feels like to be me. I really wish you would.

There are reasons why I say the stuff would not work.

1.) Because I already have tried it and know that it doesn't work for me at least

or

2.) I just can't make that one happen

20. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No offense, duwayne, but I think many of the people posting in this thread probably do know what it feels like, because there are a lot of people on EC that have had similar experiences to yours.

There are options to solve your problems *if* you're interested in doing so. But if you take the attitude that "I tried _________ once and it didn't work, so I know that any other attempts will be unsuccessful" or "I can't do that".... then you're basically creating a reality for yourself where those things are true.

If, instead, you take the approach of "Well, maybe the last time I tried __________, I wasn't ready / I didn't try long enough / I haven't really considered how I might make this work"... then you have a great chance of improving your situation.

But when you simply shoot down everyone's ideas (many of which are good, and have worked for many, many others in your situation)... it's certainly your choice, but you aren't doing yourself any favors, and you're a lot more likely to be stuck in the exact same position 6 months or a year from now.

The attitude we take toward solving our problems has *everything* to do with our success in solving them.