1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you say?!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Linguistic_Geek, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Linguistic_Geek

Hi,

This might sound like an odd question, but it's got me puzzled and thinking....

I do some volunteer work with a very nice lady. She is a few years older than me, but we get along fine. Yesterday she was telling me that she found the guy who fixed her wheel chair attractive and they had been kind of flirting back and forth.

And I had no idea how to respond.

I am not out in that environment, but I don't hide it either. If it came up, I'd be honest, but it's never come up.

So...what do you say? I don't want to say "oh that's nice, I'm in to girls". That just sounds...lame. I'm all for being supportive, but my words just abandoned me. I think I just smiled and nodded my head and carried on with my task.

:bang:

2. LD579

"Oh, that's nice."

You can leave it at that, or engage that topic further. You need not bring up your own attractions to others into the conversation, but it may drift towards that in situations and conversations like that. If such an occasion arrises, it's up to you how you respond. Personally, I don't think saying that you're into girls sounds lame at all, but if it does to you, you could come up with a few variants with the same meaning.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, it didn't necessarily sound like an invitation to discuss your sexuality. I mean, you certainly could at that point if you really wanted to. But I probably would've said "It's always fun to find somebody to flirt with. Let me know if he ends up being your next boyfriend."

Lex

4. Linguistic_Geek

Hmmm...It appears as though my words have failed me yet again.

I know it wasn't an invitation to discuss my sexuality and I didn't take it as such. I guess I'm used to hanging around with guys who comment on girls. Which I guess I can relate to and respond to more easily.

5. AAASAS

Why can a homosexual not find the opposite sex attractive.

It should be no different than her saying it to a male. You can either agree or disagree.

She didn't ask you if you wanted to fuck him.