1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Handling discrimination advice.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by JD2626, Jun 7, 2013.

1. JD2626

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok so I've been out to most of my family and friends for a couple years and everyone has been extremely supportive and stuff, no problems really whatsoever. However I still hadn't told anyone at work. I always get asked by my female co-workers if I'm single and they try and set me up with woman they know. But I've been really wanting to be who I really am. Long story short I decided to come "out" to a couple of them by just casually telling them about my boyfriend. Since I was getting alittle more comfortable with myself I really didn't think it would hurt me. Boy was I wrong. By me telling this information to 2 co-workers it seems like the whole company now knows. Word travels fast I guess. Here's the thing I am not a gay guy who works in hair, clothing, design or anything like that (sterotypical I know) I work at an electric company and most of the men and even some of the woman are very macho lol. So slowly I started noticing people avoiding me in the halls, people not being responsive or interested in daily conversations. I get looks and stares and whispers. One day I came into work and a penis drawn above my desk. And it just keeps escalating. Where bosses now scrutinize my every move. A couple guys I do talk to now barely even say hi. I know this isn't like blatant discrimination (no one has called me a fag or anything) however it still hurts, I'm still the same person. I just now feel alone and get sad everytime I have to come into work. It's like people give me this disgusting look on their face and a attitude if they have to interact with me. I hope some of you can relate I am hoping to get a little advice. I feel alone and don't know how to handle this.

2. forgetboutit

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    JD I am sorry this is happening to you. You should consider surrounding yourself with a more friendly atmosphere. If you live in the United States and probably in the more conservative states, consider moving to more liberal states (New England, California, Etc.) If not, move to the big city or somewhere where you won't have to come to work to these things. You may not know it but the constant disapproval can you a lot of mental and emotional damage.

I hope your situation improves.

3. photoguy93

This is definitely a hard situation. However, I'm not surprised. Word travels like lightning in a work environment.

If you can find another job, I'd say that you should go for it. However, word could still travel fast.

If your physical safety is at risk, then you need to report it to the appropriate people. However, this could really turn bad for you if it's as bad as you say, people could make it worse. Just be careful and be as positive as you can. Stick close to your friends at work, if you have any.

Also, I guess I'm going to be a stickler, but being the campy, hairdressing, girly gay isn't bad, either.