1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Constant emotional ups & downs... a normal part of coming out?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by shamrockmut93, Jun 7, 2013.

1. My life has been somewhat of an emotional roller-coaster lately. A few days ago, I posted my first thread on here, which was about being frustrated. True to how it reads, I was feeling very down at the time, and even though that feeling sticks with me constantly, it's pretty watered-down today. Over the past year or so, I've noticed a pattern in my emotions. I go through periods of extreme loneliness, self-pity and anger, and then I plane out and I feel normal for a while. Sometimes I even get that "high-on-life" feeling, though not as much as I used to, and I don't even really know where it comes from. I don't really have much control over it. Is this maybe a subconscious way of recovering from negative feelings? I used to be more optimistic, but that was before I realized that coming out in itself doesn't magically make things better. In fact, it's added more complication to my life, as my parents and I are now trying to figure out how to go about telling the rest of the family that I'm gay, that is, if we even should at all. As far as that's concerned, I don't have a very clear idea of what's coming my way, and I think it's mainly for that that I've been getting so easily overwhelmed. So, is this something that I'll most likely outgrow as time goes on? I'm just slightly worried that I might be bi-polar, but on the other hand this is a very emotionally-charged and stressful time for me, so I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

2. Dins3label

There are a lot of different things that go into having emotional ups and downs. How old are you? Do your friends know? How have your friends been receptive of it? These details could make things a little more clear.

And also, have you been like this all your life or have the ups and downs been more recent. I know I was pretty messy before I came out, and many things change afterwords- so its easy to get overwhelmed.

Perhaps you get overwhelmed by uncertainty, and that's pretty darn normal. The only real advise I can offer you is that nothing in this life is really certain and many things are out of your control. The more you can let that go, the happier you will be when you come across more uncertainties throughout your life.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's no question that the coming out process, for nearly everyone, is fraught with emotional ups and downs. That's totally normal, as is the feeling of being overwhelmed. Both will go away.

Basically, in short, it's a shame issue (shame = intense fear that you're not worthy of love and belonging), and when you first bring shameful things to light, it's very much like being naked in public (assuming you aren't used to that)... you feel very vulnerable and uncomfortable and shameful and all of the feelings sort of come at you and you feel overwhelmed.

But the more you "own" it, the more you realize there's nothing shameful about it at all, that you *are* worthy of love and belonging, and that people will still love you for who you are.

It just takes a little while to get used to that new feeling, and to learn to love yourself fully for who you are :slight_smile:

4. Hi guys, thanks for your responses. I'm not sure if I've always had a tendency for mood swings, but if so it's definitely been amplified by this whole situation... by the way I'm 19, almost 20. My friends all took it extremely well, but all the friends I came out to so far are those I met this past year while studying abroad, so I came home to a fresh start :/ The only people who know in the US are my parents and my room-mates from last year. I guess it sometimes can be a shame issue. A lot of times before coming out to someone, I worry that they'd judge me based solely on my sexuality: some of the people I know aren't necessarily anti-gay, but the sexual practices that come along with it (as simple as two guys kissing, for instance) gross them out and it's kind of hard for them to see past that sometimes. So yeah, there are times when I feel slightly ashamed of it, but thankfully that's kind of rare and it depends on who I'm with at the time.

5. Maea96

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am in the coming out process, and I actually do have constant emotional up-and downs. Some days I am glad to be alive, I feel like a special and important person. But other days I feel like total shit, and that no one wants me and that I'm ugly.

But I think it's just a part of the process. The reason why I feel this way, is because I haven't come out to everyone, and I still feel a little awkward about the whole "I am bisexual" thing.

6. Scarlet123

i am not completely out but i have had the thought of telling people constantly in my mind and i must say i am pretty much the same, most days i act quite depressed, if someone says one thing to me in the wrong way i get really angry and some days i laugh at everything, i too thought perhaps i was bi-polar but perhaps this is normal

7. Scarlet123

by the way don't go by online tests because they make everyone sound bi-polar

8. Dins3label

Hmm that's interesting.. it sounds like you came out, but went back in the closet again! But now it seems like you went through all that trouble but you are now getting lots of pressure from family and such. The same sadness I felt before I came out.

To be honest, you friends might be grossed out by two guys kissing, but that won't mean that they will hate you! For the most part, it's because they haven't had any close friends who were gay.

One of the coolest things I heard from my friend was this:

"Before you came out, I thought 'gay' was my weird cousin who dyed his hair blue. You changed the way I think about gay people because I realized that they are normal human beings."

It may be harder, but we have been given a great opportunity to literally change what people think about something. I think you should start with your friends and wait on the relatives - because you probably hang out with them more than you family anyways!

Good luck, and we are always here to help you. Try and think that this is only a temporary pain that will be gone eventually, because it will be!

9. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In addition to the shame component, many closeted people especially in the denial stages go through periods where they numb down their emotions - denying their attraction whether they accept it or not, restraining display of those emotions. Apparently the brain cannot easily shut down emotions selectively so everything gets shut down proportionately. Once you allow yourself to feel and express that attraction overall emotional intensity gets restored as well, and it's an unfamiliar feeling.

10. Hi everyone, thank you all so much for your feedback, it's really comforting and it means a lot to know that other people have the same problems as I do. I'm definitely coming out to more of my friends here at home. I came pretty close today to telling one of my besties but the situation became inappropriate pretty quickly (I was at work), but it'll happen soon. And Dins3label, I totally know what you mean about your friend. My closest friend this past year was a former homophobe from Albania, and he basically said the same thing to me. Being separated from him and his girlfriend is partly why I've been feeling so down lately, but we still keep in touch. It's an absolutely amazing feeling knowing that you can change someone like that, and I'm hoping I'll get to feel that again soon.

11. yidnah87

I remember having some mood swings in the days prior to coming out to my mom, which actually was just a couple weeks ago. At times I felt really confident and motivated, looking forward to coming out. But then I also had times when I felt like I wouldn't be able to do it and questioned the benefits of coming out.

I was able to finally do it on Memorial Day weekend. I was stunned right after I said the word 'bisexual' and was in total disbelief at what I had just done. Later that evening I felt really good about myself.

In the days after, I sometimes still was in disbelief about how I had come out. It hadn't quite sunk in yet. I now still occasionally wonder how/why exactly I did it. But as they say, it gets better. :slight_smile:

12. That's so coincidental it's uncanny... pretty much everything you wrote in your post describes exactly how I felt before and after I came out to my parents, which by the way I did just after this past memorial day. I certainly hope things do get better soon for everyone who's in the same boat right now, I had no idea how hard it was to come out to my parents until I actually did.