1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World Pride 2014 SHOULD I GO?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by coreyl13, Jun 8, 2013.

1. coreyl13

IM not out yet. I want to explore a little before I fully come out. I've set a goal with mysf if I lose x amount of weight then I would go to the world pride. However I've never been to pride I don't know what to expect.wod this be a good start in exploring?

2. AKTodd

I've not been to a pride event as yet for various reasons (although the one here is in August so might change that), but from what I've seen here, most people seem to have a good time, although a few don't like them.

You would certainly find yourself around a lot of LGBT people in all their diversity. Getting to see people like us in a situation where they (and you) can just be themselves can be great. I can say that I have had the experience of being in a non-bar situation in which the gay people in the room greatly outnumbered the straights. It was rather a good feeling.

The one thing I would say that you should probably remember is that a big part of pride events, especially the really big ones, is the chance to party. So people may be behaving something like what you might expect to see at (for example) Mardi Gras or some other major gathering where calm and decorum are not necessarily the order of the day. Although I've also heard that the bigger events may divide themselves up into 'family friendly' and 'adult' events or time periods or the like. So you perhaps choose what you want to do or go to.

Other than that - I'd say you should go - and have fun.

Todd:slight_smile:

3. BudderMC

Well, you don't have to be LGBT to go to Pride. From what I understand, Pride is basically a giant party where everyone's invited so long as you aren't some anti-LGBT bigot.

Technically, all that being at Pride means is that you're comfortable with LGBT people. It's probably reasonable that you might get asked if you are gay (particularly if you're stereotypically flamboyant or have some other giveaway), so the question is: if someone were to approach you about that, would that make you too uncomfortable, even knowing they're supportive of LGBT people?

4. LD579

Well, this really depends. I see that you live in the US. Depending on how far you live from Toronto, it may not be a fiscally sensible choice to go to Toronto for such an event. This, of course, also depends on how you spend your money, and what you value.

...Unless I'm mistaken, and the event you speak of (World Pride 2014) is not in Toronto.

I think it's always good to have a goal, but if you lose, for example, 20 pounds, instead of 25 as you had wished, it would totally be fine to forsake the goal in favour of going to the event. After all, progress is progress, and losing weight and maintaining it is a continual ordeal and sort of lifestyle.

It is in, er, practically a year, though. It wouldn't be a bad idea to start exploring LGBT+ meet-ups, or those that have friendly attitudes to those issues and people. In fact, I encourage you to look around and see what you can find sometime before World Pride 2014. Why wait a year? Perhaps you may want to consider it.

5. coreyl13

Yes. I am in the us. Michigan so toronto is not too far out of reach plus I've always claimed to be from Canada so it'd be nice to visit. I would expect to be asked at pride if im gay or not. . I don't know if throwing myself out there is the best choice I'm out to a few friends and my gpa. I kinda want to have fun and bring out my gay side sort of speak and just not care because nobdy cares there. I can't do that here. I'm still going through all the confusing stages and what I want to do with my life ect.. I do accept myslf being gay I've always known I'm 23 I feel its time to put myself out there I guess.

6. Convoy

??? Tourism Toronto | World Pride 2014 .

Actually, that looks kind of cool. Who knows I might go in that time; I'll still probably be here and it's not too far if to make the trip.

Edit: Yeah I totally get what you mean, I'm not that out right now and it looks to be a good getaway anyways. Sure I should get more friends and stuff (I'll try my best, but you never know) and my GPA should be higher, but being unhappy and cooped up here all the time just isn't fun ya'know. Everyone needs a break now and then.

#6 Convoy, Jun 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  7. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    World Pride 2014 would probably be awesome to attend I'd love to go...but I'm way to far from it LOL

-----------

I've been to 4 pride's (in my state) in the last 2 years.....and I'm not out :eek: (yeah I know technically shouldn't be taking that sorta risk, but I really wanted to go :slight_smile: so I did (and I kinda wanna go again this year to the one next weekend) )