1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Applying for a job. Advice?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MerBear, Jun 10, 2013.

1. MerBear

Okay I am applying for a job online right now and I accidently said "Yes"

to a question that said "if you are need to give a work permit, are you willing to show it?" and I didn't see the "not required" option and i accidently clicked yes

Is that bad?
    I'm applying for the cashier role and i've never been a cashier before or had ANY work experience before.

I need some advice.
    Is applying online bad?
    I would go and ask for a application personally but i dont have a ride. I only have my permit.

Does anyone know how long it takes for them to get back to you?

thank you to whoever answers

2. LD579

Could you bus to places? Applying online is perfectly fine, but... the chances of getting an offer for an interview is incredibly small.

Applying in person is best, these days, when you have not had a job before. At the end of the day, the person hiring would remember someone that's been seen in-person already as opposed to someone who's applied online, especially when you haven't had a job before, it sounds. You need all the positive exposure that you can get.

With that said, if you would like a job, you may wish to broaden your horizons in your search. If you only applied to one job... unfortunately, it is highly unlikely you'd get an offer for an interview. It can become a numbers game, and pushing the odds in your favour until they skew towards statistically receiving interviews is best.

As for whether that is bad or not... It probably isn't. I'm assuming that you had to fill in other things, so they would know that you haven't had a job before.

As for how long it takes for places to get back to you, it depends. Calling places back after waiting 2 weeks without an answer can sometimes be a smart move to make, especially if you feel that you made a positive impression. If you don't get an answer, don't be disheartened. Some people with post-secondary education have tried months to get any sort of job just to make a living.

3. MerBear

Would it really matter? if i get an interview, i'm seeing the supervisor face to face anyways.

I know its the best option but I cannot get one in person right now due to limitedness of transportation. You have to understand that My dad does have to work and Really the only way, i can apply is online.

I have a permit, not a license.
    I could walk to the store and ask for an application but its way too far and dangerous.

I have applied somewhere else to which was mcdonalds....not the best place to apply but i need a job.

Whether its online or in person, I do have to disagree there.
    Applying for a job at all can show some kind of maturity and every application received should be taken seriously and should not be judged until you have met the person face to face to see there character.

Needless to say, A application....You can totally BS an application.
    Being face to face with the person can show you their true intentions

#3 MerBear, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  4. LD579

Er, to be completely and honestly blunt, it does matter whether one applies in person or not, unfortunately. I have applied to many jobs online. I haven't received word back from any of them. In contrast, when I've applied in person, it sets a much stronger impression of my strengths and friendliness and people are much more likely to remember me and to call me back to set up an interview.

An interviewer can't interview every single person who applies. As you have no experience, why would an interviewer choose to interview you over someone with more experience? I don't mean to be offensive, but objectively speaking that is what an interviewer may be thinking. That's not always the case, but I'm sure some interviewers think that way at least some of the time.

I only have a learner's license, too, and can't drive on my own, and my parents are both busy. I chose to walk or bus to many places to apply. If you have a bike, that can help, too. If you have absolutely have no means of applying in person, in general, it may be very difficult to get a job, unfortunately.

Also, if you have no means of applying to any jobs in person, how would you be able to go to work if you had a job? That is something you should consider, as it may become an issue later on.

Yes, for young people, applying for a job shows a great deal of maturity. The sad fact is that applicants are almost always unconsciously judged. Doesn't sound friendly? Rejected. Many people who deal with applications have to discard so many, just because they simply do not have the time to go through hundreds each day.

That's the cruel world of job hunting. You have to apply to many, and you ideally would go in person to apply to some jobs, while still applying online as well to other jobs, if possible.

Your last paragraph is true, but a good application sets a better 'first' impression than a sub-par one. That is why, as your last sentence says, one should apply in person if possible, especially if it's for certain positions like being a barista or other more social jobs and customer-based/service-oriented jobs.

5. FranklinK

You can get hired from doing online applications as long as you call them the next day. Ask to speak to a manager - introduce yourself and let them know that you put in an application. Then ask them when a good time to do an interview would be. Employers love initiative.

6. MerBear

well how can i get experience if nobody will hire me? You have to start somewhere and even they very well know that. If they dont want to take the time to hire somewhere who can improve on working skills then fine. dont.

I feel, they play a big game with age. I really do.
    If i dont get a job, I'm going to have to see my sister and i can't fucking stand her.

Asking for a application upfront doesn't do much where I live, I have asked for applications from employers ....not the supervisor. They could give a fuck less.

personally, If i'm not asking for an application from the supervisor or manager, It doesn't matter because most of the employers (here where i live), Are rude and careless.

I am 17 years old. If they are so serious about people and Job experience then they need to hire some teenagers who dont have any experience so they can help them out in the future.

I do understand, they want someone with experience but its can be very wise to hire someone without experience so you can teach them and have them learn to do things independently.

as for your last statement. There is no "good" application.....You can MAKE it look good but it doesn't make anything you say good except maybe a criminal background check or drug testing.

I can lie like hell on that application and have it seem like a good "first" impression but what you don't understand is when you go face to face with your boss, it can bring out of a lot of your true intentions subconsciously. How you represent yourself matters way more than what the applications says.

Its like how people would say ....you can say "i promise, I wont forget" or "I'll do this for you" but UNTIL you actually prove yourself worthy of your statement then your statement shouldn't mean much.

I believe in challenging yourself.
    If you really want a job then you will fill out the application but more importantly, Represent yourself as someone who is willing to challenge themselves and Become a leader

---------- Post added 10th Jun 2013 at 01:32 PM ----------

I would walk to my job if I have to. I will get my license. I'll ask for a ride.
    I can do those things Now but im not going to waste it on just "getting an application"

answering the same questions, i do online.
    I'm not doing that.

I will make an effort to be on time and show i'll do whatever it takes to get the job done. That's what should matter not asking for an application upfront

7. FranklinK

I always dress up really nice and go in to where ever I choose to apply, ask for a manager, introduce myself (eye contact, smile, and firm handshake), tell them I just moved into the area (in your case tell them that you want to start working so you can get a car/make car payments/or whatever the reason is that you want to get a job), ask them if they are hiring and if there is a place to fill out an application in the building, and when I finish filling it out I turn it in to the same manager directly. I thank them for giving me the opportunity to fill out the application as I hand it to them. After that I ask if they have time to do a quick interview right then and there. If they are busy I ask them when a good time to come back in would be. That way you get your interview, you've left a great impression, and you've demonstrated initiative as well as maturity. This method lands me the job every single time.

#7 FranklinK, Jun 10, 2013
  8. MerBear

Even if I did do that, They probably aren't even hiring.
    I dont know why I waste my time applying....when I can't even get a job because of my age. I can't apply at walmart. im not 18. I have to be 18 to work there.

I am so limited because of age. I can only apply to fast food places.
    I'd rather just volunteer somewhere.

Ugh. They rarely ever hire teenagers. ever.
    and If applying online is so god damn bad? why do they even have applications online? why do they even hold that feature if they don't like people applying online?

#8 MerBear, Jun 10, 2013
  9. FranklinK

I worked at a little food joint when I was 16 and then got hired at Chick-fil-a when I was 17. Starting out at a fast food place isn't a bad way to get in there.

10. MerBear

Yes, I know but Its really hard when they aren't hiring.
    I dont know, I dont know why the hell i'm wasting my time when I wont even get a job.

11. FranklinK

At this point you are your own worst enemy. There is a job out there near you that is hiring, you just have to find it.

12. MerBear

I have, I have looked online and IN person. I haven't seen any signs or anyone say they are.

There is some places hiring but they require me to be 18 and I am not 18.

13. photoguy93

In terms of work experience, if you absolutely cannot find a job, then start volunteering places. Essentially, it's a job you don't get paid for. You'll usually have a supervisor or someone above you. There is ALWAYS a need for volunteers. Once you have experience there, you'll be able to ask a supervisor or coworker for a reference letter. That way an employer will know you're not a flake.

Also, look around - do you have any family friends that might know of someone who knows someone who knows someone? Truthfully, in today's job market, it is a huge help if you know the right people.

Don't be afraid to look into different markets that aren't just retail.

Yes, you're 17, but what if an organization says "call back when you're 18"??? That's better than no!

Applying online is good to get yourself in the system, but always call and check in. When you call, you can reference yourself and say I applied on such and such a date. However, it is extremely rare that they will see your application and be like "OH MY GOD"... Unless you have some way of making it stand out, like "hi, my name is ___ and I'll give you cookies for life if you hire me." Even at that, it probably won't happen.

Again, I know it's a tough thing, but look at all your options. I think I was your age when I started looking. I never thought I'd find a job......and I did and I absolutely love it.

14. derrik

Not sure how successful you will be at 17 BUT even applying for a job in good experience when you turn 18

It always possible you talk to someone who tells you to come back when you turn 18

15. MerBear

The WHY DO THEY HAVE ONLINE applications fucking available if I Wont even get called in to get a interview? Thats completely fucking pointless.

If they truly want someone to ask for a application upfront then they should NOT have an online application period.

no logic to that at ALL

16. LD579

Not necessarily. Online applications receive a large amount of applicants. There still is a small chance of getting contacted, and it's better to apply online than to not apply online, in a void, when wanting to get a job. Ideally, this would be a supplement to applying in person, as that is the best chance of landing interview opportunities.

It's frustrating, but few people get jobs overnight. It takes continual searching, applying, and following up, with a smile throughout.

17. photoguy93

Well, I think that there is. First, it gets people in the system - that way, you won't have to add someone in all the time. Secondly, at most importantly, it weeds out people who really don't give a shit. Do it and then call and go in - honestly, it's what they want... at least, I think it's what they want.

18. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's harder but very possible to get a job at 17.

Starbucks, Jamba Juice, Baskin Robbins, and nearly all fast food places will hire people under 18. Many restaurants will hire busboys. Most grocery chains will hire bagboys. Most department stores and places like Target and Walmart will hire people 16 and older.

Online job applications do several things: They organize the process for the employer, they allow them to collect more info (some use psychometric testing as part of the application process), and they allow them to screen out people who aren't qualified without wasting the employer's time. But as others have said... if you just put the app in and do nothing, the chances of getting called are small.

You seem to act like you're entitled to a job. You're not. You have to work for it, show initiative, and make your potential employer feel like *you* are the person they want to hire over the other bazillion applicants they receive. And that's where calling, showing up wearing your best clothes, putting on a great appearance... even if it's the crappiest job ever... will make the difference. If you aren't willing to do that, you probably won't get hired very easily.

You have to use initiative, and you have to want the job and act like you deserve it. You've gotten great advice in this thread, but all you've done is find reasons why you can't/won't be able to get a job. There's a great quote, "What you give energy to... will continue" and it applies here. If you give energy to the idea you won't get a job... you won't. But if you start changing your outlook, and believing you *will* get a job, and start acting accordingly... it will make a huge difference for you.

19. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The online applications are the backup. If they have nothing on paper that looks promising, they'll go to the online apps. But most places will take the paper ones first, since it shows more initiative.

If there's an overall theme here, it should be this. It's an employer's market right now. For every opening, they have a bunch of people trying to get the job. As such, you're going to want to do whatever you can to both make yourself stand out (in a positive way), and make would-be employers think "this is somebody I want to hire - this is somebody who will make a good employee".

* Apply in person for as many jobs as you can.

* Try to talk to somebody in charge - the head manager if you can, another manager if the HM isn't available - if at all possible. It's best if you go in at "downtime". Most restaurants are at a lull between 2pm and 5pm, for instance.

* Tell them you're looking for a job, and you'd really like to work THERE. (Not "anywhere" - THERE. If you say "I'll work anywhere", it makes them think you'll be looking to ditch them the second anything better comes along.)

* Ask if they're currently hiring (if there's no sign that they are). If not, ask if you can fill out an application anyway. If so, ask what positions they're looking for, and mention any you think you might be able/willing to do.

* Keep track of every place you apply. Write down who you talked to, and what you applied for.

* You'll probably need to be persistent. It's rare to get the first job you ask for, even in a great economy. Stay upbeat - they'll prefer that over somebody who sounds sullen.

Lex

20. MerBear

I'm not acting like i'm entitled to one chip but I at least deserve a shot and I can't get a shot if i'm ruled out because of my age.

If i'm willing to do all I can to get the job and do the job properly then I deserve a shot. I may not deserve the job itself but I deserve to at least get the chance to be called in for an interview even if i dont get the job and you obviously didn't read what i said earlier.

I believe in challenging yourself.
    If you really want a job then you will fill out the application but more importantly, Represent yourself as someone who is willing to challenge themselves and Become a leader

Did you read that?
    And actually I haven't found reason......Those ARE reasons chip.

If i can't go personally ask for an application right now THEN I CAN'T
    If I can really only apply online then that's what I'll do.

and I already asked, around. The Dollar tree. You do have to be 18.

Don't believe me?

Work at Dollar Tree - How old and how much will you be make

I'll apply at target and walmart and other shopping centres.
    but i'm telling you, i dont think i'm going to get the job because

1) of my age
    2) lack of experience.

You can say, im not taking there advice but i am.
    if i wasn't taking there advice chip, I would have just asked you to delete the thread and give up.

but im not. Im applying more places to seek out my options.
    oh and here is someones opinion on starbucks

Now. I will APPLY for starbucks and go to them but i'm not going to get my hopes up