1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ugh... I feel like I'm torturing myself.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by josh9623, Jun 10, 2013.

1. josh9623

so, I like to watch all the gay romance movies and I read on ec all the posts about relationships and such but i feel like it just reminds me that I don't have that someone special. While I understand that it's not like in the movies or anything, I really do want to find a guy that I really like who likes me back in the same way. being in HS doesn't help either, although i am on summer vacation now. Maybe I could convince my parents to let me go to one of the youth meetings at the LGBT center in west palm since I'm not going to be driving to school over the summer. what are your thoughts on how I can help get over this?

P.S. my thoughts for going to the meeting were not necessarily to meet someone (Though a possibility) but rather to try to find support in being around people like me.

2. Aldrick

Ugh. I remember being sixteen and torturing myself the same way. One of the worst things during that period was watching all of your friends starting relationships, and being left as the odd man out.

The good news is that you're light years ahead of where I was at sixteen. I think going to youth meetings at your nearest LGBT center is a FANTASTIC idea, and it is something you definitely should do if you have the opportunity. Not necessarily to meet someone, but just having someone else you can talk to face to face who understands what you're feeling and going through will do wonders to improve your overall outlook, mood, and feelings.

3. josh9623

I'm trying to decide which day i want to try to go. one is supposed to be like a topic or idea based discussion type thing while the other is supposed to be more social, i need to choose because if i get to go it will probably only be once a week due to how far away it is.

4. Aldrick

Well, there are advantages to both. The more social one might mean you get to interact more on a one-on-one personal level. However, the more topical one might be easier if you have trouble breaking the ice, stepping outside your shell, and meeting new people.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Since it appears to happen weekly, you can try going to one, and if things don't turn out the way you like the following week you can choose the second. In fact, this may be ideal, because it'll give you a taste for what both are like. Once you've had a sample of both, you can make a more informed decision on which you'd like to go to during your weekly drive.

5. josh9623

Okay, I'll talk to my parents about it, the discussion themed night is tomorrow so I'm gonna try to go even if I have to pay for the gas.

6. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The discussion has a couple of advantages: it gives some structure to the evening, and it should guarantee participation. No idea what the social night would be like..but you could end up with groups of people who know each other, and you in the corner wondering what to do. At least, that's what has happened with me.

There is a chance that there will be some social time. There may be a break for refreshments.

Another value of discussion: you see Mr. Hot, you have an excuse to talk to him, even if it's only on the way out. A comment about something he said could be a good icebreaker.

7. josh9623

I talked to my parents and they will let me go so I'm gonna drive down and go to the meeting tommorrow. It didn't come to the argument of gas cost so they are (for now) going to pay for my gas to go there.

8. Aldrick

This is great news! I hope you have fun and meet some good people that you can stay in touch with outside of the meetings. Let us know what it was like and how it goes.

9. josh9623

the group was really nice. there were about twenty or so people, one of which was even straight (a little surprising for an LGBT youth meeting at an LGBT community center). overall I think I will be back, maybe it will help me get to be more socially outgoing like I used to be.

10. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Glad it went well!

Also glad your parents let you go. I hope this means they are coming to reason.

11. Aldrick

Excellent news! I'm very glad it was a positive experience that you found enjoyable. Hopefully you will be able to make some new friends, and who knows - maybe something even more. :slight_smile:

12. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Reminds me of how I feel about looking through catalogues of children awaiting adoption.

I really want to be a mother, but there's no way I could handle a kid until I get better independent living skills.