1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Mj9, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Mj9

Mj9

Well i started questioning my sexuality two years ago. And i am pretty sure i am gay even though don't really want to be. I guess you can say i am still in denial and probably always will be.I don't really come from a bad community where this is uncommon either. Most of my friends are very accepting. Its just that i guess i am scared of change and how people will view me. People always thought i was gay but i have always denied it.I am just scared of feeling like a liar to everybody. I just know some people treat you differently and i really don't want that.And it also affects some of my dreams i have in the future. Then theirs my family they are homophobic. And i guess im scared of letting them down. All my life i have always tried to get their approval but i know i want get it on this. i am just scared of steeping out and for that reason i feel like i cant accept being gay. i am really not sure what to do and i know alot of you will say nothing wrong with being gay and i agree with that. Its just now that its me i feel completely different about it.

2. limeslam

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hey man.

How old are you because I'm in a very similar situation. I live in a liberal area but my family and some friends are conservative so I'm not planning on coming out to any of them in the near future. Especially my family because they pay for my education so I don't want to give that up. My main goal right now is to tell one perso that I can trust and know will be okay with it. This way I am building a group of people who I can talk to and call back on I'd something doesn't go as planned. But something that has helped he is that I've developed an almost "I know I can't control everything" attitude where I accept myself and understand that other people won't always accept me and I can't worry about them. But I'd say just tell one person that you trust completely and you know they won't spread news around and judge you. Tell them everything and they will help you come up with rational decisions that you could use on your situation. Sorry if this didn't make sense. But good luck.

3. Dakine

Out Status:
    A few people
    Don't ever worry about the lying aspect (as in you've already said you were straight so now you'd be lying). I think 99% of us here lied through our teeth about our sexuality when in denial, even to ourselves....hence denial.

4. Mj9

Mj9

Well i am 18 and i know most people say when 18 just move out and do what they want but i probaly wont be able to move out for like a year because of money and college issues. plus like you said earlier my parents are helping me pay for college and would cut me off if figured out that i was gay.

5. Paper Crane

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, I'm in a somewhat similar situation. You're not alone. Most of my friends at university would be fine with it, but I'm really not sure about my parents. Especially my Dad. I definately understand about wanting to keep it quiet until you move out. Limeslam's advice of telling someone you trust seems pretty good though, I might even take it myself :slight_smile:. Perhaps just focus on accepting yourself for the moment, it took me a long time (and is still taking me a long time) to do that, even if you've sortof known for a while.