1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to not be so timid?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by limeslam, Jun 11, 2013.

1. limeslam

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi everyone,

So I have this issue where I don't take risks. Like I enjoy physically dangerous situations (cliffjumping, roller coasters, exteme sports stuff), but when it comes to a social situation, I can't seem to just be myself and I end up being very quiet. For example, if I am talking to someone I don't really know, I have a way to be very quiet and I can't seem to carry a conversation. Also, I really want to be able to talk to complete strangers (kids my age) but I dont know what to say and end up saying nothing or one worded responses. But it's weird because I'm fine with public speaking, but I can't on an one on one basis. I think it may have something to do with being self conscious about how I look or something with my self esteem. But is anyone else like this or was like this? Do you have any tips on how to become more sociable?

Thanks!

2. heartbreaker94

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It really depends on thr REASON for your timidness.if it's a self esteem issue, think of it like this. You are (name here) and there is nobody in the world that is better than you.

hope i helped!
    Jonas

3. Music Heals

Do you have a few friends that you feel comfortable talking with? If do, try bringing one of them along with you when you have a conversation with a stranger. I have a problem talking to strangers one on one too, but I've found that if I'm standing beside a friend, or I'm in a place where I feel very safe(my favorite classroom, a spot with good memories, etc), conversations are easier to hold. Also, if you have a friend with you, when you have trouble talking, your friend can fill in the blank spots. Additionally, since it's clearly not possible to always have a close friend with you, you could try practice conversations with a family member or something like that. Even talking one on one with someone online may help! I hope I could help! Not being able to talk to people sucks, so I hope you can work through thus!

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually try to picture myself as one of these guys:

[​IMG]

Do you think social anxiety would stop them from accomplishing their mission? I doubt it. It's just another obstacle to be tackled with a greater goal in mind which, in your case, is personal growth. :slight_smile:

#4 Argentwing, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  5. Phoenixaaa

I hate talking to people I find attractive because my voice instantly goes barely beneath an audible sound, almost as if I am whispering. :help:

6. limeslam

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Haha thanks. I guess it's now a matter of believing that.

---------- Post added 11th Jun 2013 at 08:47 PM ----------

Thanks! I actually might do worse if a friend is around. But I'm completely fine with talking to people online. Haha now that I think about this, I guess I could be worse. I just don't give myself the credit I deserve.

---------- Post added 11th Jun 2013 at 08:48 PM ----------

Haha true. Thanks man :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 11th Jun 2013 at 08:49 PM ----------

Hahaha ikr!!! Seriously sucks.