1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First therapist visit tomorrow

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Sarcastic Luck, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Sarcastic Luck

Admittedly, not the first time I've gone to one, but the other times have been for depression and the like. I'm just a bit frustrated with my mom. The closer it gets, the more she pushes away my view that I'm trans and tries to say that "the duality is probably caused by you starting to show signs of being bi polar".

She only says this because my dad is bi-polar and a doctor she took my grandma to who never met me and only based on symptoms I was having said. This honestly doesn't surprise me. She always tries to wave away issues I have as something else. Though, I also wouldn't be surprised if she might sort of be in denial despite her wishes to help me appear more masculine.

Mother rant aside. Beyond being open to the therapist, anything I should keep in mind?

2. I have never gone to a therapist, but am considering it.

I am already telling myself that I may have to try a few out. I hear that some therapist don't do well with mommy issues and that is what I would be going for.

3. Sarcastic Luck

Sometimes you have to shop around, as it were. I've dealt with a couple therapists in the past that annoyed the ever living shit out of me.

4. Good to know. My niece had a therapist who would over do the advice stuff and that was weird. It was like she was trying to become her mother.

5. Sarcastic Luck

Yeah. You want someone who you can stand talking to. In some cases, there aren't many options, but usually there's a variety to choose from.