1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I'm more emotional/hormonal in the summer

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by sunnii, Jun 15, 2013.

1. sunnii

Is this possible? I'm more up and down than normal (im generally inconsistent with my emotions anyway). I have had an exhausting couple of weeks with work so that'll be a factor too but I remember last year I was the same. Very polarising. I was so unhappy, I was starving myself and obsessed with losing weight, I was still so nervous about fitting in properly with my friends, I had 0 confidence.

A couple of years before that I was basically depressed for the summer. I was constantly just breaking into tears for no reason that summer.

I've noticed this week I have been hormonal. Last Tuesday I was driving to work and I was nearly crying a lot. Then when I got to work I was at the checkouts serving customers and I remember 1 man buying like a lot of stuff for his cat and I was almost welling up. I don't know if it was because I think cats are cute or what but I was a state that day.

2. RainSprite

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't really know too much about your situation, but there's a condition called Reverse Seasonal Affective Disorder (summer depression). Symptoms generally include anxiety, trouble sleeping, irritability, agitation, weight loss, poor appetite, increased sex drive, etc. and takes place during the spring & summer months. The reason it's seasonal is because your body might have a harder time adjusting to the longer day light hours.

Psychologists would know more about this , but generally Seasonal Affective Disorder (Winter depression) is what's more common in people, and the symptoms tend to be the opposite (weight gain, more sleep, etc.)..and in these cases, light therapy would work. But I would have no idea how reverse affective seasonal disorder would be treated.

How many summers has it happened to you? It might just be coincidental. Or there's other factors that are contributing to this.